Sentry gun in basement resupply?
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Are we allowed to build sg's in the basement resupply?
It's a buildable object, just like teles..

I did this last night and was moaned at by some other player.
A decent offensive player will be able to take it out, and that eventually happened.
Legal? Yeah....

Advisable? Probably not.
Sid wrote:
Are we allowed to build sg's in the basement resupply?
It's a buildable object, just like teles..

I did this last night and was moaned at by some other player.
A decent offensive player will be able to take it out, and that eventually happened.

That's defending from the spawn though. It's not like the sniper respawn with the dropdown that enemy players can jump up to and take out teles. Building an SG in the lower respawn places your fellow defenders at risk. Not cool bro..
The Basement resupply is NOT a Respawn room, and thus does NOT fall under the rules of camping Respawn.

Also, grenades do not blow up in that room, so pretty much anything goes there.

The basement resupply is legal to camp, spam, etc.
Grenades DO cause damage if the door is open, which would be the whole point of having an SG there.
It’s a horrible place for an SG. That is the only problem I see.
[SHS]Hitz wrote:
Grenades DO cause damage if the door is open, which would be the whole point of having an SG there.

Re-read what I said... they don't explode IN the room. Yes, if they explode outside the door(not easy to pull off if it's open, though) it can cause damage.

Don't forget, though... there's also the ceiling turret to worry about, and that you can't destroy.
Let me get this right. You were on defense and built the SG in the resupply in your basement? The idea I'm guessing is to provide some degree of protection to your SG?
Backalleybuttlove wrote:
Let me get this right. You were on defense and built the SG in the resupply in your basement? The idea I'm guessing is to provide some degree of protection to your SG?

Correct, and a strategically placed dispenser on the wall opposite the resupply prevents attackers from easily running past.
The fact that grenades don't explode inside the resupply is merely a happy coincidence..
Sooooo, you are standing in front and to the side of your gun to keep the door open as a sitting duck. Not in a great position to constantly repair it. Furthermore, all the defenders have to do is push you/kill you to close the door making the SG useless. I don’t see how this is better than the normal placement of Sg to guard bottom elevator.
No, I'm not standing in front of the gun, that would be silly.
I'm standing next to it, inside the resupply, whacking it with my spanner.

There's room for the other players to go in and out of the resupply, while I'm there.

It proved effective the other night, getting about 10 kills before someone took it out.
So effective that I got lots of verbal abuse from the opposing medic..
The only thing that matters is the final score. Did they cap? Would your SG have been better off someplace else? If not - it works. End of story.
Sid wrote:
No, I'm not standing in front of the gun, that would be silly.
I'm standing next to it, inside the resupply, whacking it with my spanner.

There's room for the other players to go in and out of the resupply, while I'm there.

It proved effective the other night, getting about 10 kills before someone took it out.
So effective that I got lots of verbal abuse from the opposing medic..

>ds joins
>concs passed your SG, happy as you leave it there and one less SG TO KILL DURING "KILL THE SG SIMULATOR"
>likely caps.
>talks mad shit.
I disagree. It is hard to place the nade so its close enough to hit the SG but not too close that it goes inside. And he can just step back and the door closes.

I think its overpowered and turning 1 SG into 2 SGs since that turret hits players outside and theres nothing you can do about it.

It turns into a whack-a-mole game where he tuckers in when people go near and then opens door back up and the turret blasts your back. And since grenades dont go off in there all you have is your chain gun which any engineer can repair faster than you can take it out. And grenades arent going to bounce him back because hes standing behind the SG.

Normal scenario with koala bear engies is to bounce them back with a conc or a frag grenade and commence to chain gunning.

2fort isnt hard to defend and this along with teleporters in general makes it even easier to defend.

I find this similar to the chopping issue where its not against the rules, its just a cheap tactic and is overpowered.
*cough*
Take the spiral instead..
*cough*
Maybe you should stop being a beta and play offense and realize how hard it is?
Maybe because I’m always o soldier or spy but I either toss him back with rocket or spam spy grenades near him so he can’t keep it open for a bit. There is a reason I’ve never seen an SG there in league play.
gg#4 wrote:
*cough*
Maybe you should stop being a beta and play offense and realize how hard it is?

Thanks for the advice, I do play offense from time to time too you know.. :-)
Help wrote:
Maybe because I’m always o soldier or spy but I either toss him back with rocket or spam spy grenades near him so he can’t keep it open for a bit. There is a reason I’ve never seen an SG there in league play.

...because it doesn't work in league, just the cesspool D fest this place is.

Are teleporters even a thing in leagues?

I dont remember teleporters back in 2001-2002 when I played this game.
Yes, yes they are.

I want to say |D| may of telefragged a flag carrier. Could of been against TDA. Help may remember.
IIRC rules have often gone back and forth on teles, though current league/competitive rules are mostly that they're only allowed for ADL.
I have never played in a game where teles weren’t allowed. Stopped playing in 2005ish. The only incident I remember with |D| is sutterkane caused the ruling against teleporting flags in league play. Personally I think that was a mistake. Hell of an impressive feat in a match.
gg#4 wrote:
Are teleporters even a thing in leagues?

I dont remember teleporters back in 2001-2002 when I played this game.

You mook! That was BEFORE Steam introduced teleporters.... Jesus, man! THINK!
Grenades don't explode in the resupply? And your SG was placed such that it keeps the door open?

I think I'd have to see it to believe it and also assess if it confers an unfair advantage to the defense.
adjust, overcome...

don't be the guy that just complains about the server, the players, the last time it was reset. Play, inspire, communicate...and don't take a decades old game too seriously

*all characters and names in this post are hypothetical ....
Yeah, what Moose said.
moose poop wrote:
adjust, overcome...

don't be the guy that just complains about the server, the players, the last time it was reset. Play, inspire, communicate...and don't take a decades old game too seriously

*all characters and names in this post are hypothetical ....

An over simplification. What is the purpose of having any rules and regulations if your Mantra is adjust, overcome....blah blah blah. Clearly, some things create a clear an overwhelming advantage that requires rectification.
the rules are simply the universe you "choose" to live, play, operate in. It's a 20+ year old game. If its that traumatic, make your own.
That sounds like new age horse manure. Rules exist outside oneself that create constraints. In this case either makes you conform to a certain way of playing or being banned not allowing you to play all together.

Yes it’s an old game and I don’t think anyone is traumatized by the SG in the supply room. It’s okay for people to express issues they find with the game. It’s the only way for change to ever have a chance to take place.
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in