Doom eternal
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Anyone play it? I just beat the game on nightmare. The graphics are amazing. It's crazy to see how far fps gaming has gone. Game was pretty challenging. My only complaint is that there was only 13 levels and seemed a bit short. Another complaint, I don't think they'll be much in terms of mods since the game is too complicated for mods, at least that's what I've read.

I haven't played too much of the multiplayer. You can play as the demons in the game which looks kind of cool.

Graphics aren't everything though. There's something about someone making ralphy dance, trigging lunar gravity at the absolute perfect time resulting in a captured flag that otherwise would not have happened playing TFC at D2F. <^_^>
Im thinkin about getting it. I loved the 2016 Doom. was intense and had a great campaign. multiplayer was pretty fun as well
The forum already had a previous topic on this, haha, but it's interesting that it's popped up against since I'm currently replaying 2016 (and then Eternal) on Ultra Nightmare.

I didn't like Eternal anywhere near as much as 2016 since it sacrificed a ton of the level design and atmosphere that made 2016 so great, but I warmed up to Eternal's first expansion a bit more, which you could check out if you haven't already (along with the 3 Master Levels the game now features).
How does the Doom 2016 graphics compare to Doom eternal? I may have to check that one out if you're suggesting the game play is better. A lot of these new games... they have the graphics but after I beat Doom Eternal I was all, "that's it?"
You had to bring this up, didn't you? After a year of playing D2016 and owning that bitch on Nightmare, I waited and waited for the next release. Only to find that if you have integrated graphics, it won't work. Will now have to wait until I have a new puter, which isn't in the cards any time soon.
@Mr. Walnuts

I have a GeForce GTX 1650. I can run the game on high. If I try to run the game on the next highest setting which they call "nightmare" it says I don't have enough ram. Game won't even let me try to run it on that setting which I think is kind of strange.
They had to have lost tens of thousands of sales with this kind of bs.
Walnuts, what's yer specs?
i7 dual core

8gig DDR3L SDRAM

Intel HD Graphics 520
It seems counterintuitive saying this, but I too felt Eternal's graphics were a huge letdown (especially coming right off of playing the Final Fantasy VII Remake), and I think 2016 looks a helluva lot better.

I have an i7 6700k and GTX 1080, and I run 2016 at Ultra Nightmare settings with a consistent 144fps (via Vulkan rendering), but I have to run Eternal at Low/Medium in order to maintain 144 in all circumstances. I tried stomaching 60fps (which is awful on a 144hz monitor) to see what Eternal looks like at Ultra Nightmare settings to see if I was missing much, but there's not a ton of difference IMO.

I think 2016 is simply much better visually-designed, and features much better lighting and reflections, which is part of why I say it has tremendously better atmosphere. That, and it simply has tremendously better atmosphere by design (along with level design).

I imagine they also had to cut back on Eternal's graphical fidelity in order to pump more demons onto the screen at once and offer larger combat arenas. Eternal doesn't really incentivize the player to do anything other than quickly seek out the next demon to slaughter, whereas 2016 offers the traditional series blend of exploration/atmosphere/combat.
@Spoofer

What do you mean by "traditional series blend of exploration/atmosphere/combat?"

I think the Fortress of Doom provided that sort of exploration, functioning as a sort of interactive meta menu complete as its own sort of level. There's also the secrets and the things you collect.

Eternal's level design is almost entirely linear and straightforward, and the scenery is mostly just window dressing to disguise the design progression that is hallway to combat arena to hallway to combat arena, etc. And 99% of Eternal's secrets are merely hidden behind obvious breakable walls along the standard path.

OG Doom's maps used to look like this:

https://www.doom.com.hr/images/maps/doom/e1m7.jpg

Dungeon crawlers, basically, with plenty of exploration and backtracking, rather than linear progression in straight lines towards the next combat arena.

2016 had a much better blend of linear maps along with open, exploration-based maps, where you could actually choose where to go and move back and forth across the environment. 2016's secrets were also much better hidden and much more creative, rather than everything being behind an obvious punchable wall 2 feet away. You actually had to fully explore every bit of architecture (and 2016's architecture is much more complex than Eternal's), and sometimes really look hard to find them (though there were various suit perks that could help locate them).

So 2016 was still a blend of the old and the new design philosophies, before Eternal decided to instead focus essentially entirely on combat. 2016 still has tremendously fun combat, though it doesn't have the meathook or dash or Eternal's specific form of weak points, so it'll seem simpler at first coming from having only played the sequel, but it quickly ramps up all the same.
I’m midway through Doom 2016. I had run ccleaner registry cleanup which killed the game. I was able to undo it by putting the registry file back and the game works again.

I will want to play eternal when done with 2016. I really like realistic graphics and have seen some amazing screen shots from a game called cyberpunk, but it’s $60, so I can wait.

I may create a new thread asking for help with frequent BSOD with memory_management listed. Comes up here and there and always reboots back without a problem.
Spoofer wrote:
The forum already had a previous topic on this, haha, but it's interesting that it's popped up against since I'm currently replaying 2016 (and then Eternal) on Ultra Nightmare.

I didn't like Eternal anywhere near as much as 2016 since it sacrificed a ton of the level design and atmosphere that made 2016 so great, but I warmed up to Eternal's first expansion a bit more, which you could check out if you haven't already (along with the 3 Master Levels the game now features).

The master levels are nuts. Are there three of them now? I just see two: the arc complex and the gore layer. I really want the golden shotgun. You have to beat the level on 10 different modes to get it. At one point you're fighting two marauders when its extremely foggy.
Cultist Base is the first Master Level, and was a pre-order bonus, though you can still get it by buying the Rip and Tear Pack. Looks like the pack's $5, which also includes a Revenant and Combat Shotgun skin. Not sure it's worth the $5 honestly, but up to you.

Super Gore Nest is the latest Master Level and according to everyone by far the hardest, but I went back to focus on Ultra Nightmaring 2016 before that came out so I haven't given it a play yet.
End of Thread
RefreshNext Unread
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in