[Poll] Giving advice to teammates
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Poll: Do you tell other players on your team how to play?

Almost never - it’s usually obnoxious (29%)

Depends on my mood (29%)

Only if I think they’ll care (6%)

Pretty often - why shouldn’t I help them improve? (24%)

Only if it’s a class I’m good at (6%)

Every game. Most players know less than I do (6%)

If the team needs help / that player is the weak link

Poll has ended (it ran for 14 days). 17 total votes.

I’m sure this kind of poll has been posted at some point in the past but I don’t care enough to go look it up and anyway the answers can change as the player base changes over time.

I have definitely noticed a big mix when it comes to giving advice and I’ve also noticed that when I get advice from some players I gladly accept it and from other players I get really annoyed even if they’re better than me. Was curious to know what you all think.
Me when teammates give me "helpful advice": https://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/f3209e80.gif
some give advise to help you, other's give it to make themselves seem relevant.
If I see someone who is obviously new to the game, I definitely try to help them out. This game, and especially this server, can be chaos incarnate. That can be a big turn off to a new player, if they don't understand the mechanics of the game.

I may not be the best player ever, but I know enough to help someone new out. Also, to me, it's "paying it forward"... I had a lot of players help me out when I was relatively new to the game.
Almost never because without fail it will fall on deaf ears. If there is an obvious completely new player playing D Scout, I'll let them know how to change class.

That being said, if any are reading this... HWs please when the flag is top spiral, be in the spiral, in the doorway, or on the flag instead of standing in the infection corner across from main so everyone can run past you.

This has been a public service announcement.
D Scout is the second most annoying first place goes to D Spy with pills all over our base.
Yeah, I was on when that guy was on.

alias scoutshout "say_team Scouts go OFFENCE!!! Scouts do not belong on D!"

alias ammoshout "say_team No player needs EVERY ammo pack, leave some for other people!!!"

alias respawninfect "say_team If you are infected say OUT OF RESPAWN!!! All you will do is infect more people!"
I always try to help out a new player, especially if they ask.

Telling another player how to play, especially directed at someone who I know has experience playing, is something I try to avoid because sometimes you can't fix a squeaky wheel.

That said, if it's really dumb and idiotic, I yell some shit off mic to blow steam off, not in game

Some people just like telling others what to do or how to play. Jackhammer comes to mind. He always seems to be telling people how to play.
Im guilty of telling people how to play when they are playing dumb.

Like putting sgs on top of other sgs. Playing fatty from stupid spots.

Like if you arent using your fatass to block a chokepoint you need to revaluate your life

If they are being disruptive like running around our base as spy disguised as the enemy. Spamming spy pills in our base. Running around as pyro flamethrowing teammates and stripping armor. Shooting teammates with shotgun to spy check when they have non destructive means of spy checking (eg. soldiers using shotgun vs rocket launcher, engies using shotgun vs wrench). Running around as D scout. Playing D medic and just hugging me the whole time. FUcks up my movement and ive had nades bounce off them back at me. Not helpful.

Putting dispensers in front of the spawn. Playing from spawn.

IMO all this hinders the team and the team would be better off without you.
I'll give pointers if someone asks. Most people here are seasoned veterans so that's usually not an issue. Occasionally there's a n00b who rushes to the spawn for health kits when infected who need a stern but loving admonishment.
gg#4 wrote:
Im guilty of telling people how to play when they are playing dumb.

Like putting sgs on top of other sgs. Playing fatty from stupid spots.

Like if you arent using your fatass to block a chokepoint you need to revaluate your life

If they are being disruptive like running around our base as spy disguised as the enemy. Spamming spy pills in our base. Running around as pyro flamethrowing teammates and stripping armor. Shooting teammates with shotgun to spy check when they have non destructive means of spy checking (eg. soldiers using shotgun vs rocket launcher, engies using shotgun vs wrench). Running around as D scout. Playing D medic and just hugging me the whole time. FUcks up my movement and ive had nades bounce off them back at me. Not helpful.

Putting dispensers in front of the spawn. Playing from spawn.

IMO all this hinders the team and the team would be better off without you.

I stopped an offense by myself playing D spy saturday. 4 pills top spiral and Ole DS lurking around the ramp room.

Now, I know that was annoying AF for the soldier playing top spiral. He just was not getting the job done.
Backalleybuttlove wrote:
I'll give pointers if someone asks. Most people here are seasoned veterans so that's usually not an issue. Occasionally there's a n00b who rushes to the spawn for health kits when infected who need a stern but loving admonishment.

Seasoned veterans, but many still lack common sense and game sense.

But I get it. If they haven't learned after 20 years they still wont no matter how much you call them idiots
@gg#4

>many still lack common sense and game sense

In what way?

I guess what I'd like to see more of is team work and coordination. Like real full blown flag runs. A lot of times it seems like people are like chickens with their heads cut off. There's no way someone is going to cap the flag when there's three engineers with three sgs up in the basement; along with two demos, one with the spiral piped and the other with the elevator piped.

I've noticed also that medics will run past me. It's like "hello? HW in the spiral, how bout restoring my health?"

you shouldn't have a medic run by you in the spiral....

The games gone wrong if that's the case.
Backalleybuttlove wrote:
@gg#4

>many still lack common sense and game sense

In what way?

I guess what I'd like to see more of is team work and coordination. Like real full blown flag runs. A lot of times it seems like people are like chickens with their heads cut off. There's no way someone is going to cap the flag when there's three engineers with three sgs up in the basement; along with two demos, one with the spiral piped and the other with the elevator piped.

I've noticed also that medics will run past me. It's like "hello? HW in the spiral, how bout restoring my health?"

Uhhhh I could go on forever really. Fatties sitting on the corner bottom spiral not able to see whose coming down. Any offense can jump down and conc right to LH and SH and maybe take one shot from the AC given how long it takes it to wind up.

Fatties who are sitting mid ramp room as if they have no wind up on their AC. Any offense can conc right by them from 1st floor below 2nd floor.

Engineers who leave flag room empty, but build in useless spots. Like RR where any offense can conc right by.

Engineers who put SGs too far forward in SH. Any offense can run right by it before it has a chance to track.

Anyone who forgets there is only 2 ways to the enemy basement and both are restricted by narrow openings.

Engineers who don't protect their sgs with dispensers.

Should I continue? Youre making me sound like a bigger whiner than I already am
Git gud
I'm surprised by the colorfulness of this pie chart. I was expecting less variety.
One thing I will immediately chime in about without fail is if I take what I anticipate to be an O tele and it puts me under the bridge in the middle of the water. If it is not a troll job, the behaviour must be corrected post-haste.

Regardless, I will activate my mind control and force the offender to /uninstall and then conduct a voodoo ritual to summon a plague of bedbugs upon his house for all eternity.
I never thought of that. I may troll you with that exact scenario one day. It's like Rick Rolling but with more frustration!
Why you gotta do me dirty? Enjoy your bedbugs.
Im the opposite. If I take a what should be a D tele and its an O tele I get vexed.

Then I take the other tele and its another O tele im super vexed

Then I take the 3rd tele and its O tele and I realize we have 3 O teles and no D teles i start murdering babies
Look at the arrow on the tele, yo!
?? It says if its defense or offense?
you don't have arrows above your teles pointing where the exit is?
gg#4 wrote:

You have to be messing with us!
gg#4 wrote:

Not sure if srs...

https://www.lunaticrage.com/drippy/custom.php
"Teleporter entrances have arrows indicating which direction they will send you
The length and size of the arrow shows how far it goes
A tail on the arrow shows how far up or down it will send you
Enemies as well as friendlies can see the arrows"
Seeing those arrows on an enemy tele is key to knowing if they have an O tele in your base.
I R NEWB

SRS

NO JOKE

THATS FUCKING CRAZY I NEVER NOTICED
^_^;;
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in