Soldier is the best class
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
This is an shout-out to the almighty TFC class known as the TFC Soldier.
I know this is generally accepted as truth bet let's be real, man. The 200 armor helps quite a bit, nade+rocket combo is devastating, and the ability to rocket jump is the next best thing after conc grenades.
I have a lot of fun playing soldier and don't do it nearly enough.
In a game where classes all have their ups and downs, soldier stands on top.

Just wanted to share this factbomb because it is a factbomb. If you disagree, please say below.

Pros:
-200 armor
-Nail grenades (bye bye SG)
-Rockets and super shotgun
-Ability to rocket jump
-ability to rocket jump a long way with nade+rocket
-old model looks like he's ready to rumble

Cons:
-Kind of slow, but movement speed can be altered with rocket jump ability, wall/air strafe, bh, etc.

Disagree /agree?
Disagree

Doubleshot is the best class.

When I grow up I want to play doubleshot class
I really dig the rocket jump. It takes less skill/dexterity to execute as opposed to the hand-held conc jump. I've been playing more soldier as offense if there's some heavy defense going on, like lots of sentries that I can't get passed as scout or medic.

My only beef with the soldier is the rockets are slow. You have to time/predict where the opponent is going to be at. I debate whether its better to gamble for a direct hit or try to get splash damage next to their feet.

I like the nail grenade as a sort of movement deterrent. I'll throw it towards the resupply from the spiral to provide cover to access from the long hall. To create a sort of choke point.

Maybe soldier is top for you, but I think I'm best with engineer. I'll usually put up a sentry gun in the flag room for some defense cover and try to get an offensive teleporter up.

Ultimately, it's how you use the class. There's a lot of ace soldiers here who know how to time their rockets for direct hits.

What's this long jump with nade+rocket? If you do both you get some extra oomph? I think that's how people can jump over the water, doesn't work with just rocket.
gg#4 wrote:
When I grow up

Why the fuck would you want to do that!?
Backalleybuttlove wrote:
I really dig the rocket jump. It takes less skill/dexterity to execute as opposed to the hand-held conc jump. I've been playing more soldier as offense if there's some heavy defense going on, like lots of sentries that I can't get passed as scout or medic.

My only beef with the soldier is the rockets are slow. You have to time/predict where the opponent is going to be at. I debate whether its better to gamble for a direct hit or try to get splash damage next to their feet.

I like the nail grenade as a sort of movement deterrent. I'll throw it towards the resupply from the spiral to provide cover to access from the long hall. To create a sort of choke point.

Maybe soldier is top for you, but I think I'm best with engineer. I'll usually put up a sentry gun in the flag room for some defense cover and try to get an offensive teleporter up.

Ultimately, it's how you use the class. There's a lot of ace soldiers here who know how to time their rockets for direct hits.

What's this long jump with nade+rocket? If you do both you get some extra oomph? I think that's how people can jump over the water, doesn't work with just rocket.

Nades at the Respawn exit without a target is spamming for cheap kills, and you'll get banned for it.

If you're heading down the spiral, it's best to drop that nail nade in the box room. You will have effectively forced someone chasing you to walk through a concentrated set of nails, and possibly the explosion.

Myself, I don't like using the nade/rocket combo unless I'm going up the enemy lift(and there's only one reason to do that). Even then, care must be used as you can take a lot of damage doing it. You basically want to rocket jump over the nade right before it goes off.
gg#4 wrote:
Disagree

You are almost there! All it requires is coming here and making grossly exaggerated claims of your own abilities while generally bailing on the server itself.
Nades at the Respawn exit without a target is spamming for cheap kills, and you'll get banned for it.

Yep.
Being that there's no such thing as class balance in this game, yeah I'd agree with that. Soldier is tough and versatile. Can be effective on offense or defense.

I don't remember if the devs intended for rocket jumping to be a thing in this game, though it does seem more of an intended mechanic than, say, conc jumping.

Medics are simultaneously a great class and a terrible class. They're great, perhaps even the second best overall, in that they're offensive juggernauts and can rack up points and caps, but they're also terrible because they ended up being played in a way that was completely antithetical to the design. I know TF2 is derided among this crowd, but at least the Medics in that game are primarily utilized as healers. The healing mechanic in TFC is a right pain in the ass, and it's no wonder the players adapted the class to other things.
Backalleybuttlove wrote:

Yes. It's just a rocket jump on steroids. In a small map like 2fort,its not entirely necessary. But for larger maps that are open, it is a great thing to do.. if you can control it. Only thing is it takes a huge chunk of heath and armor. But it's just another thing soldier can do. In a way, it's like being a demoman and using three pipes to launch, except the soldier has 200 armor and will survive the landing.

No argument here.
Mr. Walnuts wrote:
gg#4 wrote:
Disagree

You are almost there! All it requires is coming here and making grossly exaggerated claims of your own abilities while generally bailing on the server itself.

Yeah, some random guy that took like 6yrs off from playing just hops in the server one day. Gets specced by all the admins, gets friend invited by a bunch of people within that same week and invited BACK into #inhouse while already there since the inception.

Totally trash, totally.

Anyone with a brain knows, has seen, when I was playing, just pure domination. That was all while standing out in the middle of the fucking bridge/batts., just DMing as many people as I possibly could.

Walnuts, you old fuck, give it up.
gg#4 wrote:
Disagree

I don't know, are you the new bridge god?
There is no God. Bridge or otherwise.
DS needs his own custom soldier model that includes the wearing of the Champs belt. Ralphy, make it happen.
-[IBSC]-iLluSiON- wrote:
This is an shout-out to the almighty TFC class known as the TFC Soldier.
I know this is generally accepted as truth bet let's be real, man. The 200 armor helps quite a bit, nade+rocket combo is devastating, and the ability to rocket jump is the next best thing after conc grenades.
I have a lot of fun playing soldier and don't do it nearly enough.
In a game where classes all have their ups and downs, soldier stands on top.

Just wanted to share this factbomb because it is a factbomb. If you disagree, please say below.

Pros:
-200 armor
-Nail grenades (bye bye SG)
-Rockets and super shotgun
-Ability to rocket jump
-ability to rocket jump a long way with nade+rocket
-old model looks like he's ready to rumble

Cons:
-Kind of slow, but movement speed can be altered with rocket jump ability, wall/air strafe, bh, etc.

Disagree /agree?

Disagree. Soldier is probably the most versatile class and has an easier learning curve than most (which makes it popular), but it’s hardly the king of classes.

First, medic is the #1 offensive class by a mile. Go watch any TFC match and you’ll see 3 of the 4 o players are usually medics. Secondly, soldier isn’t even the class with class restrictions in matches; that goes to the fatty and for good reason. In fact, most defensive strats on most of the maps call for all the main defensive classes: soldier, HW, demoman, and engineer. So no I don’t think the soldier is the king of classes.
It's still the best chokepoint control class in CTF, while HWs are used in open areas with good visibility, demos are rather defenseless while piping the flag, and engies are often nade distractions.

It becomes the best overall or at least most versatile class when you move outside of CTF and get into ADL, Push-style, and Hunted-style, where in addition to its damage potential, it becomes the best mobile class, since medics no longer have easy access to concs (in ADL anyway) and other classes are either too slow or too toothless. Being able to HH or chain RJs together to rejoin the fray in just a few seconds, or boost to the flag and then immediately continue on with a RJ chain, with a significant chunk of its H/A intact, leaves other classes behind in the dust, not that they don't still have their uses.

Obviously it's the most versatile DM class as well.
straightcashhomie wrote:
Mr. Walnuts wrote:
gg#4 wrote:
Disagree

Yeah, some random guy that took like 6yrs off from playing just hops in the server one day. Gets specced by all the admins, gets friend invited by a bunch of people within that same week and invited BACK into #inhouse while already there since the inception.

Totally trash, totally.

Anyone with a brain knows, has seen, when I was playing, just pure domination. That was all while standing out in the middle of the fucking bridge/batts., just DMing as many people as I possibly could.

See gg#4? THAT'S how you do it.
Spoofer wrote:
It's still the best chokepoint control class in CTF, while HWs are used in open areas with good visibility, demos are rather defenseless while piping the flag, and engies are often nade distractions.

It becomes the best overall or at least most versatile class when you move outside of CTF and get into ADL, Push-style, and Hunted-style, where in addition to its damage potential, it becomes the best mobile class, since medics no longer have easy access to concs (in ADL anyway) and other classes are either too slow or too toothless. Being able to HH or chain RJs together to rejoin the fray in just a few seconds, or boost to the flag and then immediately continue on with a RJ chain, with a significant chunk of its H/A intact, leaves other classes behind in the dust, not that they don't still have their uses.

Obviously it's the most versatile DM class as well.

CTF:
I agree the soldier is the best choke point defensive class, as there are usually multiple entries to a choke point at sometimes multiple elevations. Although a long corridor can usually be guarded just as well with a HW. HW is the best open space and water defense, although top tier soldiers can be very effective. Engineers are a vital supportive class that keeps concers honest, gives primary defenders back-up, and allow quick transport for primary defensive rolls. Again I cannot stress how important that SG is in a match. Demoman is vital at defending the flag in areas not easily defendable, and in tight areas. My point is no one uses one class on defense and expects to do well. And of course we are still only talking about one side, defense. On offense, concers rule.

ADL: can’t speak for it as I haven’t played it much since 2002.
I've been trying to practice, still not any good but it gets more rage out than sniping =]
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
Backalleybuttlove wrote:

If you're heading down the spiral, it's best to drop that nail nade in the box room. You will have effectively forced someone chasing you to walk through a concentrated set of nails, and possibly the explosion.

Myself, I don't like using the nade/rocket combo unless I'm going up the enemy lift(and there's only one reason to do that). Even then, care must be used as you can take a lot of damage doing it. You basically want to rocket jump over the nade right before it goes off.

I was referring to the resupply in the basement. The box room is also a good idea for the reasons you mentioned.
Mr. Walnuts wrote:
straightcashhomie wrote:
Mr. Walnuts wrote:

Totally trash, totally.

See gg#4? THAT'S how you do it.

Thank you.
Backalleybuttlove wrote:
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
Backalleybuttlove wrote:

I was referring to the resupply in the basement. The box room is also a good idea for the reasons you mentioned.

Ah. Okay. Yeah, the basement one is legal because it's not a respawn point, just a resupply. So yeah, spam/trap that one at will.
Help:

You have all valid points. I just think soldier is the most versatile class. Medics are also extremely "OP" (as the kids say) given they're essentially used as a light assault class with special abilities and can fly around the map at ease and also give and cure infections.
But if a rocket and nade combo hits them, they're toast.
And by that, I mean your rockets have killed me far too much.
straightcashhomie wrote:
gg#4 wrote:
Disagree

I don't know, are you the new bridge god?

Naw thats matts game.

I should play battlements more though I need air shot practice.

I got your buddy brah twice in a row in basement with air shots a month ago. Tried doing his swifty mc swifty scout conc weaving all about but got met with the rocket of 100 blessings.

Air shots get me so pumped
Their basement defense is most difficult, or any flag situation on O or D.

Arguably their best skillset ability is to launch grenades through the ceiling/floor.

straightcashhomie wrote:
Mr. Walnuts wrote:
gg#4 wrote:
Disagree

Totally trash, totally.

I also enjoy matches where my performance is more than adequate.

Walnuts you dropped your AARP card last time you set a detpack. This is funny because it is a way of calling you old. In your face.
gg do you like the cookie monster? i think you do because you seem comfortable being trash.

In your face. rekt. mic drop.
All yall should stop talking shit and signup for the 1v1 ladder that Spoofer mentioned.

https://discord.gg/NwdBpDHZ
I can only assume that DS of all people will be all over that bringing his air shots and champs belt with him.
EmotionallyDisturbedParakeet wrote:
gg do you like the cookie monster? i think you do because you seem comfortable being trash.

In your face. rekt. mic drop.

Shut your mouth before I give you the Gonzo mask
gg would you be interested in meeting up at a specified date and time to engaged in fisticuffs in a one versus one setting?

If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in