A few things on my mind...
General Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Okay, so, the other day, I get an e-mail from Steam that a shitload of items on my wishlist are on sale. Including Star Wars Battlefront games(both of the new ones). Both games for less than $17.

So yeah, I jumped. I even noticed that Gimpy had it on his wishlist(it shows "Friends who want this game), I also saw that he was online, so I sent him a message letting him know about the sale. He jumped on it, too.

As it stands, I've only logged 3.7 hours on it, but that's because yesterday...

We had to put our oldest dog, Harley, down. He had been in declining health, so really, this was a "mercy move". Still, it sucks having to do that, but fortunately, we were allowed to be there for him in his final moments. I've had to be there for this kind of thing before, but I still hate it. I had to, though. He'd been a good dog, and as with all my animals, a part of my family.

It pained me to see him going blind, and unable to get around like he used to. Last year, because he was having trouble with the stairs, I went and bought rug tiles, and placed them on the steps to make it easier for him to get up and down. Late last year, he got to the point of not even being able to get up and down the stairs at all. He used to always sleep in bed with us, digging his way under the covers, as miniature pincers like to do. When he lost his ability to go up and down the stairs, he lost that ability as well.

Obviously, in my condition, I couldn't carry him up and down the stairs. Not without a serious risk to both of us.

Then there's the stairs from our back porch into the yard. Even I have trouble with them. But at least I don't have the risk of falling off the sides because I fit under the railing... he did once. He landed okay and wasn't hurt, but it spooked him really bad. A 4 foot drop is pretty high when you're only 1 foot tall. I took what measures I could to prevent it... I placed flower pots on the steps to keep him from going under the railing again.

Got to the point he wasn't even going outside anymore. He used our dining room to "do his business". I didn't like it, but the floor is linoleum, so easy enough to clean up after.

Unless you're disabled and have to do it 4-5 times a day.

This caused a problem, because getting help doing it just didn't happen. So it was all on me.

Yeah, they both work, but they both have days off. I can't work, but I have 11.... well, now 10, animals to take care of.

Still, as much work as he was for me to take care of, I still loved the little bugger, and it hurt a lot to have to end his suffering.

He did go peacefully, so at least there's that.

Waking up today, and not having to go down to a huge mess in the dining room, was both good and bad. Good because I didn't have to struggle to clean up the mess, but sad, because I do miss him. He was a good dog.

Part of me wants to game, just as a distraction. Part of me just wants to rest a while. It's never easy losing an animal you love. But we're having him cremated, so he'll be back with us soon enough.
=(

Sorry to hear, man.

I had a little Toy Poodle / Shih Tzu mix ("Fifi" XD) that I ended up adopting when my dad's girlfriend couldn't take care of her ( she had long/odd work hours). And Fifi was awesome; the smartest and sweetest dog I ever owned.

But she got to that point too, where she went completely blind and was going to the bathroom everywhere in the house, and she seemed to have gone senile. I held onto her during this period longer than I probably should've, as it was no quality of life for either of us, but it's hard to let them go. She had lived a good 18 years or so though, so, she had a good life. Still, it's never something anyone wants to do, obviously. =(

I'm sure you gave your dog a great life, too. Still, sorry for your loss.
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
Okay, so, the other day, I get an e-mail from Steam that a shitload of items on my wishlist are on sale. Including Star Wars Battlefront games(both of the new ones). Both games for less than $17.

So yeah, I jumped. I even noticed that Gimpy had it on his wishlist(it shows "Friends who want this game), I also saw that he was online, so I sent him a message letting him know about the sale. He jumped on it, too.

We had to put our oldest dog, Harley, down. He had been in declining health, so really, this was a "mercy move". Still, it sucks having to do that, but fortunately, we were allowed to be there for him in his final moments. I've had to be there for this kind of thing before, but I still hate it. I had to, though. He'd been a good dog, and as with all my animals, a part of my family.

It pained me to see him going blind, and unable to get around like he used to. Last year, because he was having trouble with the stairs, I went and bought rug tiles, and placed them on the steps to make it easier for him to get up and down. Late last year, he got to the point of not even being able to get up and down the stairs at all. He used to always sleep in bed with us, digging his way under the covers, as miniature pincers like to do. When he lost his ability to go up and down the stairs, he lost that ability as well.

Obviously, in my condition, I couldn't carry him up and down the stairs. Not without a serious risk to both of us.

Then there's the stairs from our back porch into the yard. Even I have trouble with them. But at least I don't have the risk of falling off the sides because I fit under the railing... he did once. He landed okay and wasn't hurt, but it spooked him really bad. A 4 foot drop is pretty high when you're only 1 foot tall. I took what measures I could to prevent it... I placed flower pots on the steps to keep him from going under the railing again.

Got to the point he wasn't even going outside anymore. He used our dining room to "do his business". I didn't like it, but the floor is linoleum, so easy enough to clean up after.

This caused a problem, because getting help doing it just didn't happen. So it was all on me.

Yeah, they both work, but they both have days off. I can't work, but I have 11.... well, now 10, animals to take care of.

Still, as much work as he was for me to take care of, I still loved the little bugger, and it hurt a lot to have to end his suffering.

Waking up today, and not having to go down to a huge mess in the dining room, was both good and bad. Good because I didn't have to struggle to clean up the mess, but sad, because I do miss him. He was a good dog.

Part of me wants to game, just as a distraction. Part of me just wants to rest a while. It's never easy losing an animal you love. But we're having him cremated, so he'll be back with us soon enough.

Sorry for your loss iggy.
I have a 6yr old goodboyyyyyyyyy, he's just the best. I can't even think about that day. It hurts me already.

But, you did your best and surely had lots of love.

Oddly enough, I told the dumbfuck down and across the street last night if I heard his dog yelping in 30minutes, I was going to come take it. This was while we were having a blizzard and a foot of snow.

People treat animals so terrible, I have no patience for that.
Ignorant_Florist wrote:

Sorry man...that always sucks.
i am so sorry iggy, it's not easy to see one of your family members suffer like that and yes they are family
he is no longer in pain and it sucks you are
and for that i am sorry man.
I am really sorry iggy. ?

I apparently was so upset for so long that my cat josh died that my dad wrote a short story about it. I buried my most expensive card of my favorite ice hockey player Martin Brødeur with josh. It was worth $18

And I was 30
straightcashhomie wrote:
Sorry for your loss iggy.
I have a 6yr old goodboyyyyyyyyy, he's just the best. I can't even think about that day. It hurts me already.

But, you did your best and surely had lots of love.

Oddly enough, I told the dumbfuck down and across the street last night if I heard his dog yelping in 30minutes, I was going to come take it. This was while we were having a blizzard and a foot of snow.

People treat animals so terrible, I have no patience for that.

Good for you man, when I was living with my ex we adopted a neglected kitten that was abandoned by our neighbor. Malnourished, isolated and lots of fleas. Nahhh
Ten years ago I had to put two dogs to rest within a three month period.That is some painful shit.My condolences to ya.
Same here, lil. My two companions of 18 years, brothers I got from the same litter. I had to put them down, 9 months apart, last year. I think I posted something on it. For Christmas this year, the wife had an artist friend do a pastel of them. Nailed it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KnpLC-c-X7AJjllYr8VQvj4ANlM...
In a way, Igg, I hope you think you were lucky in the respect that you were with him when he left. I couldn't have borne coming up on them to discover they were gone. I hope they thought it was something that I was with them. Probably didn't, but it made ME feel a bit better about it.
First off, thank you everyone, for the well wishes. They are greatly appreciated.

Walnuts: That is a fantastic portrait, and looks great! That artist definitely, as you put it, "nailed it". (added a bit later: Does he do that for a living? I might be interested in having a similar portrait done. Curious what it would cost, but I'd never lowball the artist. If I couldn't afford it, I'd be honest about that up front.)

Being with him at his last moments of life were hard... I think there is a detail I left out of my original post: Katina had told me a few times, "You don't HAVE to be here if it's that painful for you." While I understood what she was saying, I had to disagree. Harley had been a faithful friend, and upon reflection, had been the first of "her" animals to give their approval of me. I've said for a long time, "always trust a dog's instincts in regard to people". If a dog doesn't like you, there's usually a damned good reason for it. If a dog DOES like you, it speaks volumes about your character, without even saying a word.

Harley trusted me from the get go. I strived to never let him think that I was anything but his "hooman daddy". He was just as important to me as any other animal we had. So, as I told Katina when she said I didn't have to be there if it was too painful; "No. I owe it to him to be here." As hard as it was, he was one of my children, and I treated him as such. I wanted to be there with him, giving him as much comfort as I could, in his final moments. As much as it hurt me to do, I don't regret it. In fact, I would have regretted leaving his side.

I have to say, the vet who carried it out, was a really good dude, too. I could tell that it pained him to do it, but that he knew it was time for Harley to be out of pain/discomfort/etc. He didn't take the task lightly, and I honestly believe that he would have refused to do it had the dog been healthy. I really respect that. Some veterinarians have "a job", while some really care about your family member as if they are their own. I think we are going to request that he take care of all of our animals during their lifetimes.

We have dogs and cats ranging in age from 7 months to 13 years. Our pitbull is showing signs of hip issues, but that's normal for a dog that size(she's ~80 pounds). We give her OTC medication for it, and the stuff isn't exactly cheap. But she's another good dog that's well worth the expense. Our miniature poodle is, thankfully, in very good health. The same can be said of all of our cats(two of whom ARE getting old).

Since we moved into this house, we've lost 5 cats. Milo, our "zen cat" died from diabetic complications with me in the same room, Buca died in his sleep, Isabelle died with me nearby, Willow(who had lung issues all of her short life) died with me holding her, and Sebastian(our "mushy faced" Persian) waited until we got home from a dinner date, to die in Katina's arms. All but 1 of the 4 of them are buried out front, in our flower garden, as a memorial to them. Milo died in the winter, so couldn't be buried, so we had him cremated. He rests in a place of honour right by our front door. All of them were "street cats", born "in the wild" and adopted by us. Max is going on 5 years old, and currently the only "feral" cat we have that is doing very well. Well, that's partially true.... Mira was also a "feral born" cat, that we adopted from our old Veterinarian, she was skinny as shit when we got her, and now she's downright fat. lol. But Max, like Milo, is a cat I literally took "out of the wild" and domesticated. Max, like Milo before him, does show his gratitude for having a home.

My point being, that I do my absolute best to provide the best life I can for the animals we adopt. Whether they be "off the street", or come from a shelter, or even(as two have been) dropped off to us just because it's known we won't turn them away. Katina and I do our best to provide them with love, kindness, and a life free of "want". I will go hungry before I will allow my animals to go hungry. That's just how I am.

Sorry for the wall of text.... I just needed to get that out.
Mr. Walnuts wrote:
Same here, lil. My two companions of 18 years, brothers I got from the same litter. I had to put them down, 9 months apart, last year. I think I posted something on it. For Christmas this year, the wife had an artist friend do a pastel of them. Nailed it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KnpLC-c-X7AJjllYr8VQvj4ANlM...
In a way, Igg, I hope you think you were lucky in the respect that you were with him when he left. I couldn't have borne coming up on them to discover they were gone. I hope they thought it was something that I was with them. Probably didn't, but it made ME feel a bit better about it.

That's a really beautiful pastel compadre'
Sorry about your dog, dude :(
Ignorant_Florist wrote:

So sorry Iggy, I've had to do that too. It never gets easier. :(
End of Thread
RefreshNext Unread
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in