Personal bad habits
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
What are some of your toxic game habits that you do, that you're aware of, that either hinder your gameplay or screw you up?

Mine are:

1. Constantly hitting Shift-4-4 to display the teamchat of "Acknowledged" (bad fidget habit)

2. Constant scroll up 1 slot to SSG and then Q to toggle last weapon (another fidget habit in an effort to "keep my fingers ready")
Shouting very loud swear words whilst sucking at Rocket League.
Touching myself in game when I cap the flag and kill every FGFG retreating spammer along the way.
What is FGFG?

Yelling for medic every 2 seconds.

Throwing nail nades towards my own box room/grate as I exit the main respawn. (gg#4 has mentioned this in the past)
Shemmie wrote:

I would like to play with you in RL
I'm OK at it but not amazing. I play it with my son sometimes.

TFC Bad habits:

-yelling medic all the time. I usually do this at engies when low on armor but half the time they don't get it.

-I've become a lazy demoman and sometimes launch myself from our base rather than running across bridge and using one pipe. Less health, but quicker attack when launched from base.

-over-concing. Sometimes I feel like I waste a conc. They're much more useful in enemy basement than outside. I need to preserve them more.

-my attention span is terrible these days so I cannot stay in one spot on D for more than a few minutes. I don't know how some of ya'll sit there the whole match but great job in having patience.

-spraying on dead bodies of grapefruits. Terrible harassment/taunting bad habit I picked up from players better than me back in the day. I don't do it often, but when I do, it's in good fun.

-not having any sense of personality in microphone. Half the time I'm stoned and can't put a sentence together.

Matt_tfc wrote:
What is FGFG?

FGFGFG (the default grenade buttons) was coined by pepperjack and is the successor to the term I coined (panic priming). Means the same thing where a player only using grenades and nothing else.
Oh yeah >__< Got way too many of them! I'm often aware of my declining performance in a match, but too lazy to adjust during that same game :D.

That's when I'll just die to the same pipe trap over and over or whatever.

Random post, bit too much text, but I'll type some stupid shit... :P

As far as spamming binds goes: "X" to drop the bag is pressed way too often xD or the Tab spam to show the scoreboard. Sometimes it's useful, it can for example help detect spies when I'm on D, "hey we don't have a demoman on our team - must be a Spy >__<". Other times it's going to make me pre-match-RQ when we don't really have anywhere near a healthy balance in our Team class composition.

The map is called 2 Fortresses, but when the server is full it's often just "2 Chokepoints" only x___x

Where I can get away with some basic moves/tactics when the match is smaller - like 7 vs 7 or lower - I obviously don't have that same freedom (of movement) in a full server with 26 players.

Full server: There's often plenty of action on the bridge with all sorts of classes moving about doing chip damage, snipers dot-camping the battlements > chokepoint to the 2nd floor. Sometimes a Demoman piping their own battlements/2nd floor entry~ from near the sniper spawn door is just ughh xD - if they want to do that the entire match...
And plenty of other (Armor+) classes to be find on your way 1 of the 2 chokepoints.

Bad habit is that I don't use the 1st floor nearly enough, basically only to jump the grate - I shouldn't hate fighting from the low ground too much, but the ramp room is not my favourite combat area to have the clear adventage in while fighting an enemy class. :p.

I feel that I have the most trouble dealing with a Demoman with pipes anywhere in the spiral - It's super strong for their class as far as positioning goes and delays my movement often by a lot. If they're specifically piping the upper spiral (room), then there could be an incoming flank also from the Main Spawn (if a D class respawns ~) that will take an easy shot from that angle. I wonder if some of the regular demoman dudes are hyper-aware of this "Trap/flank".
So it's like I'm fighting same the algorithm the entire match and sometimes "getting a lucky timing".

But hey, that's playing just solo O for so many times grrrrr. ;)

Bad habits from other players, as a tiny side note: I don't agree per se with the Sentry Gun x Main Spawn, in the corner of the 2nd floor, most of y'all know which spot that is - it does so little... Oh well, I've seen worse Sentry spots over the years >__<.
Get angry over a video game lol. As for gameplay, I shoot my grenades too often and press fire in the heat of battle before rocket is loaded, thereby never loading rockets ?
My bad habit is clicking auto for team joins instead of waiting to stack with people who I know wont make me want to slam my head against a wall and eventually RQ.

I also hit my grenades way too often with rockets.

Spamming Q to keep checking that my last weapon is what I want.

This has happened less now that I dont smoke weed, but forgetting SG locations and repeatedly dying from the same SG that I should have fucking better known better
Fun fact, you can cancel out another rpg if you use your grenade to intercept it. Also nails can also cancel out RPGs I found out a week ago where an rpg exploded in my face after a medic shot me with the super nail gun.
Lack of tolerance for idiots & newbies. I feel like 1/2 the server probably has me on mute because of my rants. In the case of newbies, I feel I should apologize, and sometimes do when I realize they are new. In the case of idiots....well...

Why are you shooting down my armor when my spy-check on you didn't even hurt you?

Why are you staring me down and or shooting down my armor when I was shooting at the same guy you were dancing with?

Why are you spamming spy pills on the D side at the choke points when you see me standing there defending the spot? Don't you realize you are taking down my armor and I can't defend properly?

Why are you running up to me when infected? (OK, this one is probably more on me. When I think about it, they were probably running to the area across from respawn and just happened to run into me).

A newbie one that correctly irritates me though is when I tell them not to run into respawn infected, and they keep doing it over and over anyways.

I'll also say there are times when I'm in 'shoot on sight' mode, when I automatically shoot as soon as someone rounds the corner (usually busy games). A lot of times I'll apologize for these when they hit teammates but its something I shouldn't do as often as I do.
Lol Drogon, you can perhaps work on tolerance by not ranting in the forums ?
XenOz3r0xT wrote:
Fun fact, you can cancel out another rpg if you use your grenade to intercept it. Also nails can also cancel out RPGs I found out a week ago where an rpg exploded in my face after a medic shot me with the super nail gun.

The nails from a nail grenade can stop a thrown grenade dead in it's tracks. Found that out the hard way a while back. I threw a MIRV, only to have a nail from a nail grenade halt it's trajectory, and it exploded in my face.

Yes, I've posted a video of this.

Still not as bad as missing grabbing the flag by THREE FUCKING FRAMES!!!
Drogon wrote:
Lack of tolerance for idiots & newbies. I feel like 1/2 the server probably has me on mute because of my rants. In the case of newbies, I feel I should apologize, and sometimes do when I realize they are new. In the case of idiots....well...

Idiots I can't really help you with. But newbies.... I'm always "lecturing" people to be nice to them. After all, we don't want them to think the server is full of assholes like (certain other servers), because they very well can become valued members of our community.

Bind a key to "!pubinfo", so you can share the website info while you're playing.
-[IBSC]-iLluSiON- wrote:
-spraying on dead bodies of grapefruits. Terrible harassment/taunting bad habit I picked up from players better than me back in the day. I don't do it often, but when I do, it's in good fun.

I'll be honest, not in my almost 20 years of playing TFC on and off have I ever noticed or taken offense at a taunting spray.

I spam my sprays all the time. Except for a MK "fatality" spray I used once, I can't imagine any offense being taken. Besides, I'm mostly running and dying on O, so it's rare that I'm in a position to piss someone off by killing them over and over and then taunting them.
Spraying as soon as I kill somebody, usually on their corpse as I press duck-duck-duck on them, to imitate me t-bagging them if they’re watching in death mode. I got the spray-griefing from Akutow. It infuriated me when he constantly did it to me, but I find it funny now that I do it. The bullied becoming the bully? Perhaps.
-[IBSC]-iLluSiON- wrote:
Shemmie wrote:

I would like to play with you in RL
I'm OK at it but not amazing. I play it with my son sometimes.

More than welcome mate. I tend to stick to 2s (Diamond). Rumble used to be my go-to but I hit Champion and found the pressure of every game started to get too much. I'm guessing these days that'd be Diamond.

Although be warned, as your son may learn new and interesting swear words.
1. Pulling up the menu ALL THE FKN TIME, b/c I'm used to hitting the same button to sprint in B4B. Now I'm frozen in place and smashing escape to get out of it and run away. Always at the worst time. Usually gets me ded.

2. I don't look before I stab when turning corners and running into __anyone__. Team mate just got a throat jab... oopsiedaisy!!

3. Constantly opening team scoreboard to see who is on the other team, to make adjustments.

4. Overexcitedly tossing pills instead of actual grenades (which is what I mean to hit) when evading/shooting at someone. Like a skunk. le sigh.
I don't take offense to people spraying on dead bodies or anything. I do consider it insulting when someone sprays over your spray, but its something I can deal with.
I don't take offense to people spraying on dead bodies or anything. I do consider it insulting when someone sprays over your spray, but its something I can deal with.

Stab their asses.
Reckoner wrote:
Bad habits from other players, as a tiny side note: I don't agree per se with the Sentry Gun x Main Spawn, in the corner of the 2nd floor, most of y'all know which spot that is - it does so little... Oh well, I've seen worse Sentry spots over the years >__<.

Don't wanna quote myself xD but oh well, here's a follow up then - Super small sample size, too lazy to find other clips in DEM files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bLeBiDM-qD4h0Rir3FV7Y-Ja4z8...
So it wasn't a level 3 sg and my jump was so poor >___< but that Sentry still would do mostly nothing... unless a D player is body blocking battlements or spiral entrance with success.

Some of these Sentry positions are less efficient. >:p It's a bad habit to place it there >:/ grrr, though I can understand some of the players are less aware of "what that sentry gun is covering exactly" or "what is the best outcome with this sentry position on the map".

Edit: And most of the time a player would face away from this specific Sentry unless they're directly attacking the Sentry. Facing away means that the SG will track players less accurately.
I'd say just don't build sentries more than 32 units from the wall so O doesn't have a field day running around the maypole.
Reckoner wrote:
Reckoner wrote:

Don't wanna quote myself xD but oh well, here's a follow up then - Super small sample size, too lazy to find other clips in DEM files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bLeBiDM-qD4h0Rir3FV7Y-Ja4z8...
So it wasn't a level 3 sg and my jump was so poor >___< but that Sentry still would do mostly nothing... unless a D player is body blocking battlements or spiral entrance with success.

Some of these Sentry positions are less efficient. >:p It's a bad habit to place it there >:/ grrr, though I can understand some of the players are less aware of "what that sentry gun is covering exactly" or "what is the best outcome with this sentry position on the map".

Edit: And most of the time a player would face away from this specific Sentry unless they're directly attacking the Sentry. Facing away means that the SG will track players less accurately.

Sometimes I think some engies aren't aware of how a well-placed conc can go right by the guns. X spawn is OK unless a seasoned O player / concer is on the other team.
It's also easy to take them out: secondary nades up through grate, bounce off the wall.
Also true: back turned whilst in air: SG will have a harder time locating you.
I think I rely too much on water concing. Speaking of. Does anyone have/know those commands for helping hand held concing be better? I think one of them is something like cl_uprate something and there's one more.
cl_updaterate "102"
rate "100000"
Hopefully Spoofer chimes in with his 2 cents..

I use (per Spoofer)

rate "30000"
cl_cmdrate "105"
cl_updaterate "50"

Might as well get pertinent information straight from the horses mouth. I think the values are different for everyone and most literature I read online seems to reference the settings of the server itself. It’s for counter strike 1.6 but it should apply here too I hope lol.

Hey drippy what are the server stats to properly set our configurations?
rate 100000
cl_cmdrate 999
cl_updaterate 30

rate's your maximum download bandwidth in bytes per second, and it's currently capped at 100,000 in GoldSrc and will auto-adjust based on the server's sv_maxrate. You'll never need that much (and most servers clamp it far lower than that), but there's no harm in you maxing it out unless your internet's from 1998.

cl_cmdrate is how many packets of information you'll send to the server every second (updating it on your actions). GoldSrc limits it based on your FPS, and presumably there's communication with the server as well to further limit or sync it so that there aren't any problems. cl_cmdrate is the main cvar that impacts your ability to easily HH horizontally, and you'll want to set it to 100 bare minimum, but preferably higher to match your FPS. There's a bug though where the longer you play, the higher you'll have to set the amount in order to keep sending packets every frame. With that in mind, and since it'll auto-adjust down to the correct value to compensate for that bug/your FPS/server requirements, it's best to just set it to 999 and let it figure itself out.

cl_updaterate is how many packets of information you'll download from the server every second (updating your client with accurate player positions, etc.). It's capped at 102, and if you run FPS that high, that'd be the ideal. However, most people notice choke on many full servers, especially D2F, with cl_updaterate that high. If you get choke, your hit registration will go to shit. So you'll want to have net_graph 3 active as you play and pay attention to the choke, and if you regularly get more than 0-2, then your cl_updaterate is probably too high for the server. I personally have to drop it all the way down to 30 on D2F to avoid any spurts of choke, but you can experiment with values around 30-50 and see how it performs. Base it on a full server in areas with lots of players/spam, and when transitioning from one area to another (or just leave it at 30 to be safe). On full-player OldSchool TFC server, I can get away with 60. Smaller CTF pickup servers tend to handle 100 no problem.
Thanks, spoofer. I'll give those values a try.
TFC
is my bad habit
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in