[Poll] I had an idea a few minutes ago...
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Poll: Should I legally change my name to Iggy Stardust?

Yes (27%)

No (67%)

Are you fuckin' nuts?! (7%)

Poll has ended (it ran for 7 days). 15 total votes.

So I'm going to ask you guys.

I already called my wife, and she reacted about the way I thought she would. She took it in stride, although, she's out with some co-workers, doing some "peopling". I opted not to go, although I was invited... but I've had my fill of "peopling" today.

Well, except for my "Asshats Anonymous" Zoom chat tonight....

But the idea hit me a little bit ago... because I'm thinking about creating another YouTube channel just for gaming related stuff, using my handle "Iggy Stardust". Then, the thought hit me, well, why not legally change my name to Iggy Stardust, because more people know me as "Iggy" than they do "John".

Add in the fact that my brother and I share that same first and last name.... and I was never too fond of my middle names anyway. I mean, it's not like I ever met the motherfucker I got my middle names from. (Leroy.... but adjusted to "Lee Roy" so as not piss off certain other members of the family)

I mean, why the Hell not? I've been known as "Iggy" for well over a decade now, and only added the "Stardust" to it when David Bowie died. But it works, and I like it. I think it suits me perfectly.

Hell, when I go to "arcade parties", everyone there calls me "Iggy".... and like I said, I respond to it quicker than I do when someone yells "Hey, John!"... because there could be 25 "Johns" in the room... but there's only ONE "Iggy".

So, yeah, I'm seriously contemplating this. What do you all think? And be honest. Y'all know how I roll.
You do you, if it makes you happy...do it.
Change it to "STEAM_0:1:999001".
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
25 "Johns" in the room

Tell us more about these "arcade parties."
At first it seems like a good idea, but with the problems I've see people have when changing their name for marriage/divorce, I'd leave that legal name alone. It is not worth the headache. You are what your friends call you, fuck the establishment.
I think you should change it to BooBoo Mule. 8-)
Heh.... "John" is a very popular name. Yes, I know about the "prostitution" connotation of the name. I also know about the "water closet" reference to the name.

As far as the "arcade parties" go... these are generally held by those who have a very large number of arcade games in their home.
John was a very popular name. I can't recall the last time I met a kid named John though. Now they're all named Liam and Noah and Mason and Oliver and shit. (no offense to people with those names). Maybe Charles will start making a comeback.
My opinion: No, don't do it.

My answer: if it makes you happy, do it.

You must really love Bowie.
Well, if he really loved Bowie, and was also a fan of The Monkees, he could change his name to Davy Jones.

If I changed my name to anything Bowie related it would be Major Tom
I think you should get a swastika carved in your forehead IB style and go door to door selling girls scout cookies wearing a tutu and leotard so maybe stop asking the damn internet for its opinion on important life decisions you fucking retard.
Gaba can you shut up please.

Also iggy change your name to Charlie.
sp0t wrote:
Well, if he really loved Bowie, and was also a fan of The Monkees, he could change his name to Davy Jones.

If I changed my name to anything Bowie related it would be Major Tom

It's Major Tong, not Major Tom.
nesemann wrote:
It's Major Tong, not Major Tom.

or Major Tongue
Olinkapo changed his legal name to "Mirving Berlin" - true story.
^ and ^^ double lol
-[IBSC]-iLluSiON- wrote:

I tried beating him to it and failed, so now I'm stuck with "(1)Mirving Berlin"
-[IBSC]-iLluSiON- wrote:
My opinion: No, don't do it.

My answer: if it makes you happy, do it.

You must really love Bowie.

More like I admire his willingness to express himself without giving a shit if others approved of it or not.

Don't forget, I was alive during the whole "Ziggy Stardust" phase, which is referred to as "Glam Rock". Him, Elton John, and even KISS wore things as a way to express their inner selves. While I didn't start doing it until I was in my 20s, it DID have an influence on me as a child.

My grandmother lost her mind when I got my left ear pierced back in '91. I went off with friends for a couple of days for my 24th birthday, and got my left ear pierced. When she spotted it, she flipped.

Sure, it was "a hip thing" to do back then (left ear only for straight guys)... but there was a serious generation gap being displayed. She literally didn't talk to me for 3 days. Then she started noticing some of her favorite actors on TV with their left ear pierced, and finally came around to the idea.

I'd repeat the "make her lose her shit" about a decade later when I got my first tattoo. Because I had the sketch/mockup on an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper, she was under the impression it was going to be that big. I clarified to her that it would only be about 4" tall. She was nervous as shit until I showed it to her... but because I had told her the actual size beforehand, she accepted it fairly quickly.

I think part of that was just her not wanting me to make the same mistake my father had made (well, one of many, really)... as he got his first wife's name tattooed on his arm. Which made the divorce a little awkward....

I never got Rose's name put on me, but I do have a lot of tattoos that represent her (including her face). But I also have a tattoo representing Katina and I. I'd get more if I could afford them. You guys know we're just barely squeaking by. So, no money for tattoos. But that's alright, I can still rest my head knowing I've got a roof over my head, a vehicle to get around in, my medications, and food for my stomach. Everything else is pretty superficial.

The whole "change my name" thing came about because of how people know me. I am a unique individual, so why not have a unique name to represent that. Plus, I could always keep the last name, so "Iggy Stardust Linde" is an option.

I asked you guys because I trust you. You lot are pretty honest, and I appreciate that. While I'm a part of other communities on the internet, you guys are the ones I trust the most.
level1nobody wrote:
-[IBSC]-iLluSiON- wrote:

Hey, now! Don't be throwing shit at Berlin! I may still have distant relatives there!
"I had an idea a few minutes ago"...We're proud of you Iggy.
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
level1nobody wrote:
-[IBSC]-iLluSiON- wrote:

Hey, now! Don't be throwing shit at Berlin! I may still have distant relatives there!

Irving Berlin = Mirving Berlin
I'd think long and hard before doing it but would advise against doing it if you were seriously considering it.

I recently legally changed my name to Back Alley Butt Love and have been getting a lot of eye brows raised when people see my ID or passport. You don't even want to know what happened when someone was trying to page a "Mr. Butt Love, Mr. Back Alley Butt Love" at the airport. Just kidding.

I did legally change my name when I acquired my Israeli citizenship here in Israel, though, to my Hebrew name (first and last) as my birth name sounds about as Jewish as the Pope's smegma laden uncircumcised cock. I actually converted but may have had Jewish ancestors back in the day... long story, but at the time I felt legally changing my name in Israel was the right thing to do. I still had my birth name on my US documents though. Everything was fine and dandy. Then when my daughter was born things got a bit messy bureaucratically when it came to documents. Long story short a combination of a bit of an existential dilemma, bureaucratic advice from the consulate, and my family referring to my daughter using my birth last name, I decided to legally change my name back to my birth name in Israel and likewise have my daughter and wife have my birth last name. Everything for the most part has been fixed but there are some things that I need to iron out.

I still go by my Hebrew name here, but on my documents it has my birth name. I reckon you could do something similar. "Hi, my name is John, but call me Iggy, everyone calls me Iggy."

I don't think you'd have the bureaucratic issues I had unless you somehow also acquired dual citizenship while in Germany. I'm guessing though that you may have to notify the social security office upon your name change. Then you'd probably have to notify your bank. And then the name change document may need to be notarized and then that may need an apostille... you see what I'm getting at?

So in short I don't think you should do it and have Iggy as a nickname. I also have a nickname that I'm know by my wife and her side of her family and some of their friends.

Not sure if you're into fantasy, but in Wheel of Time, one of the characters, he has all these names, and he says something like names are like coats, you put on the one that suits you at the right time.

"the Pope's smegma laden uncircumcised cock"

I may have to use this as a player name one Friday night.... LMAO!

"Then when my daughter was born things got a bit messy bureaucratically when it came to documents. Long story short a combination of a bit of an existential dilemma, bureaucratic advice from the consulate, and my family referring to my daughter using my birth last name"

I'm not worried about that. Two reasons: First, my wife had her tubes plugged years ago so that she couldn't get pregnant (health reasons... she is a diabetic, and at our ages (even then) it would have been a VERY risky pregnancy).

AND...

(Oh, you're going to LOVE this one....)

We decided NOT to procreate, because who the fuck would want to go to their kid's high school graduation at the age of FUCKING SEVENTY?!

Neither of us, I can tell you that!

Also, I've got a step-son who loves me, so I don't need a biological kid to have to cope with during my deteriorating years. Hell, I'll likely not even make it to 70. He's almost 30, at this point... (year and a half away)... and two others from Rose, one of which has a son. Nah. Besides, there's too many people on this planet anyway. I'm not contributing to that if I can help it.

One last thing, and I'm completely serious here: The last fucking thing I want to do is pass on the DNA I got from my parents. Both of them were fucked up, and I've seen what happened when my sister passed our mother's DNA on.... it's not good. No chance I'm passing that shit on to some innocent child. No. Fucking. Way!

End of Thread
RefreshNext Unread
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in