Game issue: tfc/half-life
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Hey folks, I'm sure you're all going to start seeing the Half-Life 25th anniversary update getting pushed down to your Steam Libraries. After this update, you'll notice a few things:

-TFC Launch now presents old Valve intro (Half-Life style)
-GUI is old Half-Life style
-Game connections are laggy and spotty
-Some new video options in display menu for things such as widescreen FOV (not sure what the default_fov value it corresponds to is)
-A bunch of other stuff

This has resulted in a really poor player experience for me but there's a work around to restore things back to how they were pre-update

1. Navigate to your Steam Library
2. Right click Half-Life (if not installed, install it first)
3. Go to Properties
4. On the new window that opens, on the left side, click "Betas"
5. For "Beta Participation", choose "steam_legacy - Pre-25th Anniversary Build"

You'll now notice Half-Life in your game library is labeled "Half-Life [steam_legacy]

This should restore your game state and experience back to the way it was as of last night (pre-update). Let's try and keep this thread open going forward even after they resolve these issues and the update is widely adopted. I'd like to sort of use this as our own bug-tracker. You'll also notice player counts are grossly low across all servers from this...I even joined Drippy's earlier and HLTV wasn't in game (I presume it's related to this).

Post your experiences here, too...let's try and throw all of the issues/good things in the ring and sort them out to help everyone.

Good luck!

Edit: emphasis on right clicking Half-Life in game library, NOT TFC
Good info - but for some reason under Betas all I have is "Steampipe Beta". That did restore it but want to let people know.
Oh thank god I thought I was losing my mind. Wondered why even the initial button colors were different too...

Is this a new "option" just showing up today on the "Aim" tab with the update?

"Lower Input Latency: Reduce time between input and display" I don't remember seeing this checkbox, interesting!

Patch notes explanation:
Added "Lower Input Latency" option: Synchronizes the CPU and GPU to reduce the time between input and display output.
Interesting, so I didnt have HL installed at all, and therefore it doesn't give you the pre-25 beta dropdown.

Good news is either method seems to work.

+If HL is installed - right click app, choose pre-25 beta.

+If HL not installed - go to TFC install, same right click on app, Properties, Betas as above, but choose - Steampipe beta.

Either should restore your game to prior build.
Backstory of 25 Year Anniversary update

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/17/23965754/half-life-25th-...
Damn reading through the changelog they made fucking tons of changes, some of which we might benefit from. Unfortunately it really is unplayable as TFC under this new build.
thanks for the info!
Thank you, how you fellas figure this shit out so fast? Problem is, the servers not showing now?
Pepper was first to figure it out but this statement is posted in the patch notes.

https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/12732492/
"The previous version of the game has been archived to a publicly visible Beta branch named "steam_legacy", with the description "Pre-25th Anniversary Build." If a mod or feature is behaving in an unexpected way, you may need to run this archived build until the issue is resolved in the default build."
Yeah, use the pre-25th version for now, or connect manually to the server, or add the ip to favorites 172.93.101.194:27015

steam://connect/172.93.101.194:27015

play_d2f
FOV is messed up due to a new option checked on by default:

Options>Video: "Allow widescreen Field of View"

Uncheck that to get the old fov types back the way it used to be.
We now consider this anniversary version of Half Life to be the definitive version, and the one we'll continue to support going forward. Therefore, we'll be reducing the visibility of Half Life: Source on the Steam Store. We know Half-Life: Source's assets are still being used by the Source engine community, so it'll remain available, but we'll be encouraging new Half-Life players to play this version instead.

That above was listed in the patch notes. Does this mean eventually the old pre-anniversary version of TFC will be removed or not supported in future years? Going to have to figure out why the added client side lag is so terrible with the changes.

Also Half-life is FREE on steam until Nov20th 1PM EST.
Idk, arguably the new engine SHOULD be better with the changes to netcode, hit registration, etc. but they obviously paid zero attention to the impact of changes on mods, even og modes like TFC and probably CS. Boggling.
This is horrible news for the Ricochet community.
I think the lag you guys are talking about was using the new client with the old server -- things don't sync up as well anymore. I upgraded the server to the new version, so you should use the new client now and then everything will be smooth

probably

Interesting. If you opt to stay on beta technically you are using the old client so you would have a conflict again - old client <-> new server.

What a shitshow.

Thanks for posting all the information.
Was nice to play casbah for like 5 mins lol. I guess this update really did fuck up TFC.
I cant even boot up the new version keep getting c++ debug errors.
As a special thank you to the 25th Anniversary developer team, I would like to "upgrade" their staff personal vehicles they drive to work in.

I will unbolt & move the drivers chair into the middle of the car to radically change their field of view for no good reason.

I will upgrade the steering & brakes to have an additional 1/4th of a second delay.

I'll alter the engine & tinker with the hidden parts under the hood, so it's pretty much undriveable unless you're desperate to get somewhere.

Edit: It's better now that Drippys server's running the new code, was bad in the early afternoon lol. Will have to try out all the classes & get a feel for the old vs new soon.
Pepperjack: Bless, sir.
9x wrote:

Yooo. Paft told me it's because of our modified .res files. I probably sent you mine for bigger text at higher resolutions, and now it seems TFC requires the new updated file or it'll crash. If my modded file is in the tfc_addon/resource folder, just temporarily rename it and I assume the one in the base TFC folder will have been updated and it'll revert to that. Maybe.

I had the same problem but I haven't bothered to tear myself away from my other game to fix it yet lol.
I hope Gabe Newell steps on a crack, trips over his feet, falls on his face, and drops mouth first of a cock that chokes him to death.
"Hey remember that one game we made before we totally gave up and just got fat off lootbox skins and cuts from all the other actual game makers using our delivery platform?"
I ran into that problem! Everything changed, without being able to move, the screen without brightness, everything different. Luckily LG pointed me to this topic on the forum. Thanks to whoever posted it!
https://imgur.com/a/3mn05Dy
Snipers.... get to work!!

(Thank you, Illusion!!)
drippy- wrote:
Yeah, use the pre-25th version for now, or connect manually to the server, or add the ip to favorites 172.93.101.194:27015

steam://connect/172.93.101.194:27015

play_d2f

Drippy-...... you MIGHT want to make this reply a Sticky.

It was the only way I was able to get into the server tonight.

I left not long after, because I didn't want to have it come back and bite me in the ass.

In any case, I couldn't find the server in the list (maybe because it was full?)...

Anyway.... Now that I'm aware of this telephone pole sized cock up our collective asses (sans lube).... I'll be on tomorrow night for some shenanigans.

I just wasn't ready for this shit tonight. And I didn't need it, either. So I skipped out, calmed down, and I'll be good Saturday night.

But still.... Gabe Newell can kiss my crippled ass, and I *STILL* hope he trips on a pavement crack and chokes to death on Gaba's swollen cock.

Right after he's gone up someone's asshole, sans condom. Someone who had diarrhea.

Taco Bell level diarrhea, I might add.
9x wrote:

I had the same issue with counter strike. Going back to the beta version will fix it.
I'm still working on getting the server back on the master list.

I might end up having to reinstall a new OS on the server for it.
It was showing, just periodically.
I was able to right click on Team Fortress and choose the Steampipe Beta from properties.
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in