Idea- drippy season 1: unique server stats begin jan1st & end dec31st 2024
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Idea - Drippy Season 1: Unique server stats begin Jan1st & end Dec31st 2024

I'm not proposing anybody's lifetime stats get erased or reset in any way, or the lifetime rankings. Just that a whole new fresh set of stats begin to record on January 1st and get erased/reset on December 31st every year setup as a leaderboard on the website.

So clicking on the Drippy Seasons or Seasonal leaderboard, the ranking for the most flag captures, flag carrier kills, kills and many others show up. This way some guy who last logged in back in 2009 isn't the winner like with the lifetime leaderboards currently. This is an achievement system that players could work towards reaching a personal goal throughout the year unique only to Drippys! Perhaps you want to have the most HWGuy flag captures in 2024.

So some games such as Diablo have seasons that begin at a certain date, and your character's progress gets dumped into the non-season section after the season ends for 3-4 months. The point is peoples gear & characters are forced to begin fresh this way.

I think having a seperate statistics ranking that shows up for the current year would be fantastic here on Drippy's website!

Likes or dislikes anyone? Certain statistics you would like or not like recorded for the yearly rankings? Certain actions such as counting suicides would be destructive, as some people would be killing themselves non stop wasting time chasing that goal. Thoughts about what would constitute acceptable & constructive gameplay towards reaching all the goals should be kept in mind from the start. This might make more people try different classes or attack/defend the flag then normal chasing a specific leaderboard goal.
No because that’s the reason I stopped playing Diablo when S1 got announced. Also why I hated playing MW2 2022 because of seasons but it’s the games my friends wanted to play cause they thought it would be like the OG MW2 2009.
Would be fun to see who's got the most kills for the year. Or medic infected kills for the year. Or countless other interesting things. As it stands when looking over lifetime rankings, people #1-#200 haven't logged on in a decade in many categories.

I only mentioned the Diablo example as other games have a similar seasonal style, however in those games the characters get moved or deleted after a season ends. And the idea here is that the separately stored temporary statistics get wiped once a year.

It would allow people to set goals to work towards that carry on from day to day. Beyond attempting to improve skill & situational awareness, or adapting to whatever the team needs.
I like this idea a lot.
Can "Bans" also be counted? Both given and received?

<snicker>
[IOD]Snips wrote:
attempting to improve skill & situational awareness, or adapting to whatever the team needs.

I'm lucky to get 1-3 player(s) on my team that check those boxes.

Other than that, nice idea.
in regards to the post above, people dont play here and get better, they just are. you want to get better? go play different servers
This idea is a big W

+1 for me, love the concept
Just cause the server is under your dining table.....
Nookie wrote:
in regards to the post above, people dont play here and get better, they just are. you want to get better? go play different servers

You can get better anywhere... you just have to put the effort and time.
I believe that this might be a good idea... Like a yearly stats like 2023, 2024...

I know one stats that would be nice to have and been requested many many times years ago is the W/L ratio but if I recall back, drippy- had some objections/concerns about this but I don't remember why.
I have gotten better at drippys. Still bad elsewhere. I think thats what nookie meant.

When making setting changes I saw a big uptick in metrics.

I should record stats as they sit now because a new monitor 100% is making a difference.

60hz vs 165hz. I mean I dont have UPSETs 1 million gigahertz monitor that cooks him hot pockets, but what a huge difference.
I feel I got better at Funtown when it was alive. Learned to bhop and stuff. People were doing things no one in Drippys could do (mostly). I feel it’s harder here cause you can’t make much progress if a whole team is D and you’re the only O. The only thing I see what can make you better here is (talking about now with the balancer), is having the balancer shit on you and give you all newbs and the other team is all grapefruits. I mean best way to learn is getting your ass kicked. Before the balancer I remember lots of people would stack (usually on epz’s team when he played) and I would have to go against most people that knew what they were doing. Eventually I learned how to anticipate where people would go, land, sound of footsteps and priming, aiming, etc. But now that I’m an old fuck of 35 and not in my 20s I feel myself getting slower and my hand twitches a bit lol. But still I got better by getting whooped. IMO it’s the best way to get better at anything.
The stats here were designed to be low stakes. Things like total stats where you can just look at someone else and be like 'well he played many more hours, of course he has more kills.' Or kills per hour being averaged over all playtime, so a comparison with someone else is rarely possible and have it mean anything for their current skill levels. Or one-off things like your most kills in a game.

Same reason why the win:loss stat for the team balancer is only available in-game to the player.

I think of it like the difference between casual and ranked in games that have that distinction for matchmaking. In all of the games I've seen, ranked attracts, for lack of a better term, sweaty players who are gunning for those leaderboard spots. It also repels the more casual players, as it has a different type of gameplay.

D2F is the definition of casual, and even having a season of ranked play goes against that.

I have thought about having a different ranked server like that though. A server without bhop or gameplay restrictions or the team balancer. It would show your rating on the scoreboard, and notify you of rating changes as they happen. Maybe 15 minute matches.

I didn't think of seasons really, but did think of week-long periods which you could get medals or something like most rank improvement. Maybe take your 5 best games for a given stat and give out medals based on that - most caps/kills/heals or something.

I completely agree that D2F is a casual server... hence why so many of us love it. But truly the biggest reason why is because of you... what you`ve accomplished throughout the years with this server and the community. I understand your point and completely respect it... plus it can also add furthermore negativity into the community as well with more trolling on added stats.

I believe that your team balancer itself is doing a great job as I remember the old one back in the days with only the amount of player in each team was balancing... it was easy to stack up team.

I like the idea of a ranked server however I`m afraid that this might split up the community therefore losing quite a lot of players on the main server.
drippy- wrote:
The stats here were designed to be low stakes. Things like total stats where you can just look at someone else and be like 'well he played many more hours, of course he has more kills.' Or kills per hour being averaged over all playtime, so a comparison with someone else is rarely possible and have it mean anything for their current skill levels. Or one-off things like your most kills in a game.

Same reason why the win:loss stat for the team balancer is only available in-game to the player.

I think of it like the difference between casual and ranked in games that have that distinction for matchmaking. In all of the games I've seen, ranked attracts, for lack of a better term, sweaty players who are gunning for those leaderboard spots. It also repels the more casual players, as it has a different type of gameplay.

D2F is the definition of casual, and even having a season of ranked play goes against that.

I have thought about having a different ranked server like that though. A server without bhop or gameplay restrictions or the team balancer. It would show your rating on the scoreboard, and notify you of rating changes as they happen. Maybe 15 minute matches.

I didn't think of seasons really, but did think of week-long periods which you could get medals or something like most rank improvement. Maybe take your 5 best games for a given stat and give out medals based on that - most caps/kills/heals or something.

Okay, what about making the idea of a seasonal giant scoreboard more simplified & basic, to be a low stakes goal some regulars may or may not even notice, visible on the website only? Stripping it down to two statistics specific to 2forts ultimate goals?

Make a leaderboard that resets on the 1st of every month or weekly on the first day, visible only on the website where the more regulars visit & casuals wouldn't know about or feel any pressure. Can even limit it to only the top spots #1-#3 or #1-5 people are visible. If Bob is #1 with 144 flag captures & Tom is #2 with 132 flag captures, both players might play longer & harder then they would have otherwise to defend or overtake the other.

It would just be nice to have something that carries on from one day to the other, even if it's meaningless & resets. If you run out of time in real life, not to worry it will always reset to try again!

What about picking specific stats to track, which if casuals growing towards professionals or die hard nerds push to achieve would ultimately benefit both the server & 2fort maps objective of capturing & defending the flag?

#1 Number of flag carrier kills (class doesn't matter)
Reason: This promotes defense closer towards the flag respawn. Four guys defending spiral as the flag escapes up the elevator didn't help defense, but a few guys defending in the flagroom would've been more effective.

#2 Number of flag captures (class doesn't matter)
Reason: Some regulars & non-casuals that are not snipers spam grenades or launch themselves to the deck to inflict havok, but will rarely go for the flag or defend their flag. They don't care if their team wins or about how many kills they get. If trying to win for your team is going to help yourself for a weekly or monthly ranking goal, it could promote more offense attempts at the flag.

Destructive things to track would be total kills, means you didn't care about win/loss for the team's flag objectives. If you did just the two above, it would promote more offensive flag attempts & tighter flag defense overall hopefully.

Or carefully craft very odd but non-destructive goals, such as weekly or monthly specifically kills by dispenser or kills by detpack. But tracking only flag stats helps promote healthy 2fort flag activities.
drippy- wrote:

I see all of your points, Drip... and I think you meant "cookies" rather than "medals". ;)

But also.... to follow up on THIS line...

It IS?! Care to let us know what that command is?

Honestly, and I'm only speaking for myself here, but some kind of "yearly" (or even quarterly/monthly/weekly?) implementation of this concept could be a "fun" thing for the regulars here on the forums, while not actually affecting the game itself, as it would ONLY be found here. Which, for shits and giggles, could bring more traffic to the site (and thus the forums) once word spreads... since it's not to be taken in any real serious manner. Unless you go out of your way to collect "cookies" on your profile.

Think of it like the pointless achievements in many games these days. It doesn't REALLY matter, but can be "fun to accomplish". I think your last line displays the intent of the original suggestion. Just a "for fun" thing, that could offer someone "bragging rights" here on the forum, but can't be referenced on the server itself. We don't want to make new people feel bad, or left out, or anything like that. We want to encourage them to try and do better. "Cookies" on your profile, could actually be a way to "issue achievements" that promotes that concept. If implemented correctly.
!wl

Yeah achivements/medals/cookies same concept.
AH! Thank you for that command.... not that it REALLY matters in my case, but still, I appreciate it.

And yeah, Cookies/medals/achievements.... same thing....

But doing a double-think once I was on another forum (arcade one).... I re-thought the idea of cookies v medals..... medals might be a good way to differentiate between what cookies are awarded for, and this kind of thing.

But please, let's not call them "achievements"... that'll attract the "pre-teen crowd", and Ralphy is just too adult for that. You'd get sued by some "triggered happy" parent who won't even admit that sex exists, let alone that it was how they spawned that obnoxious little Tik-Tok'r that whined to them.

(Also... PLEASE tell me that you found that last bit funny, if not partially true)
gg#4 wrote:
60hz vs 165hz. I mean I dont have UPSETs 1 million gigahertz monitor that cooks him hot pockets, but what a huge difference.

Even going from 60 to 120 is a big improvement in relative system responsiveness. Once you have tasted the nectar of high refresh rates, you'll never wanna go back to 60hz.
It's great. Bought the cheapest 27" 1440p/165hz screen I could find with ActiveSync and even that is such an improvement. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRM67RN9/
End of Thread
RefreshNext Unread
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in