Refreshing goals for players in 2024
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Refreshing goals for players in 2024

Occasionally challenge yourself playing the opposite role (offense or defense) you typically play for an entire round. You'll always learn something to make yourself more effective. Same goes for a class you never play.

Be hungry to improve everything. Your grenade timings, your aim, your hardware/software, your skill. Get off wifi & onto ethernet, update your drivers, learn about tfc keyboard bindings(+detdispenser), practice rocket jumping and hh concing. If the balancer is way off & your team is getting crushed, you're lucky that you get so many opportunities to try new tactics against others in rapid succession! Avoid the most popular "it's good enough" mindset on these, never willing to try new things. Avoid throwing grenades everywhere with the only class you ever play when your favorite tactic isn't working in your overrun base. Sometimes a class change is required in the moment.

If you love pyro, practice burning everybody but ultimately upgrade to a soldier for end game play. Learn to hit an enemies feet & time where they'll be if your ping/latency isn't the greatest. If snipers are a problem, then go pyro against those as that is effective. But your end game goal shouldn't be pyro over soldier generally.
In a hallway, a pyro is a boy & a soldier is a man.

Try hunting for enemy teleporters more often, especially if you hear them. Also try playing engineer more often, and building teleporters in creative spots to help your team. Again, choices to build or destroy a teleporter can be critical for a team's stressful influx of players pouring in that can lead to overall success.

Go for the flag more often. If your goal was to land pyro grenades semi-near but far enough away from the enemy respawn door non-stop the entire match & ended up getting 4x more deaths than kills you didn't succeed in anything. Set bigger goals for yourself in 2024.

Finally as an engineer, tune in to the threat of your moving flag. Rebuild an SG around mid-spiral if your flag was just dropped there. The situation needs to be balanced & realize the threat is fluid. Yet the moment your flag has returned, you also need to make sure an SG is already there and no enemies waiting for that flag to return too. Sometimes I've seen three SG guns in the basement, even though the flag is mid spiral, then upper spiral, meanwhile nobody rebuilds a single SG out of the basement, ultimately the flag leaving & getting captured.

Any other constructive goals you'd like more players to explore in 2024 in game?
I'm guilty of not trying basement defense enough, as playing scout/soldier/medic offense or sniper on deck feels more natural typically.

Have had some great fun playing engineer once in a while. I should try that more. Get those teleporters built to stress out the enemy's defense faster.

I need to try classes I never play more. I'm always hungry to improve everything in gaming including skill/hardware & settings. I set healthy mindsets & perspectives when the balancer is way off, I'd rather be on the losing side for more opportunities to change the balance or for chances at growth or trying new tactics.

I'm a useless turd as a sniper refusing to switch classes heading for either flag, if the enemy has skilled sniper threats present.
"Enemy flag is under the grate? And our flag is mid spiral too? Maybe I should switch from sniper & get off the deck and.... nevermind I just saw a red dot! Wonder which enemy sniper that was!"
That is one thing I am envious of is players who are able to time their rockets perfectly. 9/10 I rely on splash damage from the rocket. The direct hit does the most damage. That is one thing I want to hone in on.
While I think the nature of this topic is really a good one to talk about, there's a few issues I have with it:

-Many players at Drippy's don't know the extent of what their skill level could be because the constant revolving door of 2fort is the biggest hindrance. In other words, all they know is 2fort and the same players at Drippy's

-D2F 2fort has 2 modes: less than 18 players on server, and more than 24. The less than 18 player mode is a much more motivating scenario for the grapefruits to actually "try"

-I think a common theme amongst the "seasoned vets" is that when it's a full chaos match, there's a diminishing return between effort and reward...so it's sort of just like "why put the effort in when there's literally no point" (and those matches happen often, as I see)

-Coming from league play myself, the only way you got better was to play different teams, particularly those that were BETTER than you. And while it's no dig at D2F, that version of 2fort is just the polar opposite to what league play is all about. 2fort shifted from league 9v9 to league 5v5 for a reason.

-2fort inherently is defense oriented and quite frankly, just a high volume of players will usually get the job done in terms of protecting a flag, regardless of the skill of the players

Otherwise I totally agree with you about players wanting to push themselves and get better...but it's hard for them to know what to get better at when they play the same thing all the time with no change in anything
-Many players at Drippy's don't know the extent of what their skill level could be because the constant revolving door of 2fort is the biggest hindrance. In other words, all they know is 2fort and the same players at Drippy's

I'm not positive I fully understand. If Drippy rotated between well & 2fort (please don't, just making an example), because of the open spaces it's much harder to defend or take cover on the well map. People would repeat their same playstyles playing a single class nonstop on that map & face the same current limitations preventing growth is my point. Ultimately it is up to each individual to identify traits & characteristics in observing the behavior of others to grow their own gameplay style. I believe the greatest players learned this early, have taken this to heart & this fire continues to burns within them regardless of how many hours they've played. Some gamers do not do this & reinforce the idea that they are the greatest regardless of others present, the idea of change & experimentation is a foreign concept. Pride prevents growth.

-D2F 2fort has 2 modes: less than 18 players on server, and more than 24. The less than 18 player mode is a much more motivating scenario for the grapefruits to actually "try"

Yes I agree 100%. On a full server where there are pyro grenades under both grates + the bridge, spy pills everywhere it is a hot mess. The gamer that doesn't launch themselves with the assistance of pipes/grens/concs/rocket OR takes a tele or goes water, ends up at below half health before seeing their first enemies when the server is more packed. Even when both sides feel like a defensive fortress, there's still those windows when a handful of players from either side leave defense to try for O & mistakes happen leading to one side capping. Feels extra good (or bad) when this happens & the teams were so balanced. I was mostly writing from the mindset from an early afternoon with less than 18 player mindset as growth is easier & less spammy.

-I think a common theme amongst the "seasoned vets" is that when it's a full chaos match, there's a diminishing return between effort and reward...so it's sort of just like "why put the effort in when there's literally no point" (and those matches happen often, as I see)

Those are the greatest opportunities to try a few different things! Rotating through these to counter the diminishing returns, yikes I should do some of these too after writing these down:
1. Try & spectate someone! What routes do they take on D or O? You might notice a mistake they're making, when in reality it was a strategy you hadn't thought of. Just take a moment to look & reflect. I think non-vets do this and seasoned vets do not generally because "I'm good enough, I know everything", pride hinders growth.

2. Let's say a 13v13 perfectly balanced match, with 9 Defense + 4 Offense. Many players never observe the class composition of their own offensive team. If you have 4 medics getting crushed nonstop the entire match, change things up. This is also where a skilled engineer escaping to place offensive exits can be key, especially if the other team doesn't! If your HWGuy & others begin pouring into the enemy's base faster because of this, even that stacked Defense begins to scramble & may not be hunting for exits at all especially under so much pressure.

3. Sometimes both teams don't have great offensive gamers & hope feels lost entirely. If you play offensive 95% of the time, try helping defense instead. Neither side won, but learning about listening for footsteps & keeping a mental focus holding your ground in a zone could help you counter that same position later when you return on O having gained an insight into their perspective. This might take a few times or many dozens of times depending on experience, but at some point something will click giving you a tiny edge or understanding.

Coming from league play myself, the only way you got better was to play different teams, particularly those that were BETTER than you. And while it's no dig at D2F, that version of 2fort is just the polar opposite to what league play is all about. 2fort shifted from league 9v9 to league 5v5 for a reason. 2fort inherently is defense oriented and quite frankly, just a high volume of players will usually get the job done in terms of protecting a flag, regardless of the skill of the players.

Otherwise I totally agree with you about players wanting to push themselves and get better...but it's hard for them to know what to get better at when they play the same thing all the time with no change in anything

It would be kind of nice if all O never shot at each other & bridge spam ended like in matches, keep snipers shooting at each other only. Suddenly O consistently arrives at D with full health presenting more of a challenge on defense. I agree if enough of those choke points are covered well it can feel hopeless sometimes for a victory. There are tools at everyone's disposal for spectating others, asking questions, but if it feels like they play the same thing all the time with no change in anything, it's their viewpoint & curiosity that can help them and mentality. If a match has an unchangeable destiny of a tie, having learned a new perspective from trying new routes or a new class entirely, be it how to use those skills or fight against those in the future is a lasting big personal win for the future. A match having an unchangeable destiny of a tie happens less often then people assume because short windows of luck + skill do open that can flip a match. Ask yourself what your greatest strengths and more importantly weaknesses are & go from there too. Not asking people to share these, just look within & reflect.
Some popular bad mindsets:

"Nobody's winning and we're 4 minutes in. It's 100% hopeless, I must spam so that my personal score doesn't suck" is the foundation of failure for the general gamer.

Repeating poor identical strategies on repeat. The idea of even trying to play medic & healing your teammates on offensive is a foreign concept.
"Wait 5 seconds to rush their D with a team mate? They probably suck, here I go so solo"

Also when all hope feels truly lost, following a long-term pattern of consistently:
Spectating, switching to the winning team, spamming, RQ, or flipping to play D every single time. Never observing others, never trying a new class, never trying a new route or technique. People looking for shortcuts for an easier time resulting in dying less often at any cost. No interest in improvement in any regard other then kills & deaths. Without patience, they see their teammates as nothing more than potential door blocking respawn infecters.

I have a long list of things I want to improve on & even writing all this stuff am realizing changes I should be making. I have tendencies I gravitate towards & don't rotate enough through these and need to work on this year.
I hear pepperjack on the 2 modes thing. At a certain point it becomes virtually impossible to cap the flag if say there is more than 5 people defending the basement. But that is what makes a cap in the high player games all the more satisfying. I've been in matches where it seemed it was going to be 0-0 stalemate. There was no way in hell we were going to get the flag with three engies in the basement with 3 sgs, let alone a couple of soldiers and demos. It just comes down to raw attrition and a little bit of luck. The heavier classes go in and do there damage and leave the, pardon the expression, sloppy seconds, for the weaker but speedier classes to come in and get the flag.

What I am finding out is that I think it is better to save the fgfg for the basement.

End of Thread
RefreshNext Unread
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in