D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Do your thing

Judge
Walnuts
UPSET
dynomite
reddog
Literally anyone who doesn't just pipe the sniper-spawn side of their team's battlements, and when you think "Oh, they're doing that so they can launch us across the map!" they never do.
I feel like players that play demo on defense would make a great fisherman. Having so much patience waiting, for something that might never happen. But take your eye off your pipes for that one moment & someone sneaks by & your utility is gone. Much harder to chase somebody as a demo.

An offensive demo entering the basement from either spiral or ele ready to drop two MIRV's is very effective if medics/scouts are not far behind. Engineers can get creative absorbing or hiding while repairing against a soldier's nail grenade, but once an MIRV has been dropped options for repairing the SG sort of vanish in that moment.

MIRVs are so effective at locking out players for a brief moment too. Such as near the basement resupply, forcing the enemies to wait on the other side until the MIRV explosions have ended since they're blocking that hallway.
I haven't seen him on in a while but Mr. Walnuts is pretty ace at piping the sniper deck door. Javito also comes to mind. I don't have the patience (nor the ping) to be a good defense demo. So I hear snips on the fisherman thing.

Jerry Garcia comes to mind as a good offensive demo. A good offensive demo can wreck havoc in the basement.
PigSkin
DynOmiTe!
~REDDOG~
Blackout
WhistlingPig
Judge
javito
Sandro and Judge are the only ones that are creative with it, as both of them use their environment well. There are others that might be good at it, but I have not seen them play it.
No one essentially . 99% of the players here that do actively play as a steady demo rq the second the round isn’t in their favor or if they can’t pad stats or you find ways around their pipe traps consistently or if they get no help from their team mates to soften targets or call out targets. I don’t count upset or Sandro and the like as steady demos cause I feel they play demo to vent frustration and take everyone out with them when a whole team is on D and they get no help (I understand cause I get frustrated too). Out of the current ones I guess Reddog is the most balanced to stay on D and O and contributes. Maybe judge a close second given the number of times I seen him play demo among the other classes he plays. But if we extend it to people that used to play, there are two ppl that stand out that don’t really play (I think they both banned for mouthing off) that I remember that were really good were Kay dubber and (nka)nightcrawler.
WhistlingPig - Good demoman, goes offense and doesnt just bait and trap. Though he can and will if the team needs it. Which is indicative of a good team player and I respect that.

Pigskin - Same Reasoning as WhistlingPig. Though I see him go O less often.

Sandro - IMO the best demoman thats semi-regular. His movement is top tier. His blue pipes are top tier.

Judgeholden - Mostly plays offense. If he misses his scout beginning cap you best believe hes coming with MIRVs.

Sorry bait and waiters, but you dont get any love as its fairly skillless.

Honorable Mentions are the nade or pipe launch over, spam, die, repeat class. Brah, UPSET, Olinkapo, myself all fall under this category of player.

**EDIT** Forgot about javito - they are good as well.
I pretty much echo Vishus's list.
Also Sandro, as GG4 points out.
Jackhammer can be a prick sometimes as well.
I think as far as best basement defender as demo, Pigskin may take the cake for me. Very smart player that does things most demos don't.

And fuck it, I'm throwing myself there. Demo is my second-most played class and is what I primarily played back in the day before shifting focus to medic. I generally alias when I'm playing but I'm typically tearing you fools new assholes when I spam as demoman. Mirv to suicide ratio is (sadly) my one stat that is keeping me alive in real life.
XenOz3r0xT wrote:
(nka)nightcrawler.

NightWatchr

This dude was a beast.

And most of the times when he would die, you'd get a "bs" in chat.
Judge
reddog
WhistlingPig
There's this asshole who goes by random names, but is commonly known as Iggy who plays the objective as that class fairly well.

Dude goes into the enemy base, drops detpacks around, kills teleporters, disrupts the enemy Defense, and occasionally hides in dark places to fuck with the enemy Defense. Is also willing to pipe-jump team mates with the flag up the enemy elevator, suicide charge sgs in order to destroy them, will run blocker down the enemy spiral and get everyone's attention so a lighter class can run by and get the flag....

Pretty much everything legal that a Demoman can do.

But y'all rarely see him by his main name... so... I guess fuck that old fuck.
[...] Is also willing to pipe-jump team mates with the flag up the enemy elevator [...]

That would be worth a compilation video! How many people ruin the elevator pipe jump because they see pipes and freak out?
YOLO, I'm throwing myself in here for a few key aspects:

-detonation patience (i'm hard to juke...I even got a compliment from brah one game where he said "nice det")

-how i scramble my location on D and knock out enemy O in different positions (mind games)

-piping across yard and disrupting defense
Lol! Everybody self-promoting for demo.

Sandro - easily the most skilled who actually plays this class consistently.

Judge - also plays this a lot when he isn't scout and actually caps doing it.

Whistling Pig - solid spiral defense

Reddogg is a good demo. He gets tons of kills every game, but he always seems to fizzle out once he gets to ramp room. I rarely, if ever see him cap.

I can't even count the number of times Pigskin has stolen nades like a bitch, instead of just waiting his goddamn turn. This is a no-vote for that prick. And no, dying in basement and trying to get back before offense returns isn't an option. It takes too long to get back into position if people are coming down consistently.

This class does take patience if you're going to pipe-trap, but you can shut down the spiral almost completely by playing box room or the long ramp down to basement. It's no different than playing basement soldier and waiting. Committing to defense is tough, because you know as soon as you get bored and leave, someone is going to come for an ez flag grab.
In the spirit of self promotion...

FIRE IN THE HOLE!
The Lone Rangers killed his teammate dullrazor
The Lone Rangers killed self with pl
The Lone Rangers killed Player with detpack
The Lone Rangers killed his teammate FluFFo
The Lone Rangers killed his teammate General-Yeargan
The Lone Rangers killed Sam with detpack
The Lone Rangers killed his teammate ___rOOsTeR___cOcKbUrN___
The Lone Rangers killed tanya the hairy circus girl LLC with detpack

-[IBSC]-iLluSiON- wrote:
XenOz3r0xT wrote:
(nka)nightcrawler.

NightWatchr

This dude was a beast.

And most of the times when he would die, you'd get a "bs" in chat.

Hands down best reg demo I’ve seen in the server. But he’s old history.
Vishus wrote:
PigSkin
DynOmiTe!
~REDDOG~
Blackout
WhistlingPig
Judge
javito

Not a bad list. For recently playing regulars that play the class at least 20% of the time I go with the following:

1. Sandro (semi reg?) - by far the best movement of the reg demos, but I never felt his demo fighting skills were beyond the rest of the solid demo players.

2. Pigskin - Best demo to hold basement IMO.

3. WhistlingPig - Solid O and D demo

Honorable mention: DynOmiTe!, Reddog, Judge, DS9, and Javito.
level1nobody wrote:
[...] Is also willing to pipe-jump team mates with the flag up the enemy elevator [...]

That would be worth a compilation video! How many people ruin the elevator pipe jump because they see pipes and freak out?

Heh..... there's ways to hide the pipes, it just requires good timing.

Also, I'll have to see if I can get into the enemy base more, to make some videos of what I'm talking about.

Also, also, if I have pipes at the bottom of the ele.... I voice-chat to my team that I have them there, whether they can see them or not.
sandro is the most skilled demo i have seen attempt any O on the server. D is just sitting and waiting, needs to be done, but not my cup of tea.
The perfect 8 pipes separated evenly, now to just wait and..... shit, another friendly EMP takes them all out!

As demo on offense I mostly just inject myself into the enemy flag room to let the MIRVs clear the path for the lighter flag carriers behind me. Something I do sometimes that I don't see others do is place a +det50 in their flagroom if their flag is gone & the room is empty as I could die at any moment. That short window when the enemy flag was just picked up at grate & their defense is on their way to rebuild their SG's. The chance of a friendly scout disarming the detpack is low, it can potentially take out fresh SG's in those 50 seconds.

Also demo's sitting at the top of ele, dropping a 5sec detpak down the elevator without actually dropping down themselves. Would be nice to see HWGuys getting launched with detpacks or other creative uses explored.
That "detpack down the elevator shaft" is a good one.... BUT.... if I can toss a suggestion about it's use....

Make sure you're against the back wall opposite of the doorway leading to the Ramp Room when you drop it down the shaft. (heh heh.... I said.... "shaft"... heh heh)

Doing that actually gives you a better detonation range towards the basement Resupply than dropping it dead center onto the lift platform itself. Which, BTW, if someone hears that "whine" of the detpack about to go off, can send that lift up where the only casualty of the Detpack is the person who dropped it.

Sounds like a game of detpack "hot potato" lol.
Yeah, basically. But to be fair, I never drop a 5 second Detpack... my default key is for 20 seconds.

Though, I will drop a 50 second one on rare occasions. But NEVER a 5 second one.

Also.... I'm curious, and need to look into this... with the 25 year update on HL... do you think they made it so that you could define the timer to anything except those 3 settings?
I like leaving a 50-second detpack on the bridge "post" hidden under the snow.
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
Also.... I'm curious, and need to look into this... with the 25 year update on HL... do you think they made it so that you could define the timer to anything except those 3 settings?

You always could. "detstart x", with x being anywhere from 5 to 50. You used to be able to set it higher than 50, but Valve didn't like people locking down the Well door indefinitely by placing an infinite detpack right up against it. They fixed that gimmick even with the locked timer.
Would be funny if there was an event called "fakeout" where fake detpacks appeared randomly that did nothing. Or remove the sound a real detpak always makes seconds before it detonates, forcing players to use their eyes only during the 1-2minute event.

As a sniper, the scariest sound is the noise a detpak makes before blowing up if you're unaware it's nearby. Watching gamers scramble because they hear the sound only. It's like while riding the public bus & hearing kids a few seats behind say
"Light it quick, this firework will be sick!"
DynOmiTe! wrote:
Lol! Everybody self-promoting for demo.

Sandro - easily the most skilled who actually plays this class consistently.

Judge - also plays this a lot when he isn't scout and actually caps doing it.

Whistling Pig - solid spiral defense

Reddogg is a good demo. He gets tons of kills every game, but he always seems to fizzle out once he gets to ramp room. I rarely, if ever see him cap.

I can't even count the number of times Pigskin has stolen nades like a bitch, instead of just waiting his goddamn turn. This is a no-vote for that prick. And no, dying in basement and trying to get back before offense returns isn't an option. It takes too long to get back into position if people are coming down consistently.

This class does take patience if you're going to pipe-trap, but you can shut down the spiral almost completely by playing box room or the long ramp down to basement. It's no different than playing basement soldier and waiting. Committing to defense is tough, because you know as soon as you get bored and leave, someone is going to come for an ez flag grab.

3rd all time demo caps 1545 - 27% touch to cap ratio. I like when you play demo. Once you make a pipe trap kill, you set up in a new location. Keeps the O on it's toes! :-)
Pigskin. Dude's a beast holding the basement by himself when we're in there with about 10 people.

The other guys mentioned to for positional play.
End of Thread
RefreshNext Unread
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in