D2f ast - pyro (worst class)
D2F Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Arguably the class that should be uninvented

Leandroide
Thanoulis
gaba (when he's trying to be a pain in the ass)
Leandroide
Thanoulis
Pepper Pie

I don't think Pyro is useless. I'm fact, they made Pyro stronger many years ago. They have good speed and lots of nades. The only downfall is the main weapon. I wish they had a super shotgun.
It's a nuisance class at best. Doesn't contribute a lot besides spammy chaos. That being said Leandroide and Thanoulis are the only standouts I can think of.
Vishus
Leandroide
Pepper Pie

Not sure i played with them, but hunter0ne has 50% of their play as pyro and judging from kph seems good at the class
Leandroide
Thanoulis

Pyros...blah.
No active members that play pyro 20% of time worth mentioning.

If I had to pick someone, I’d probably go with Vishus.
Vishus.
I think the question should be what would it take to make Pyro more desirable to play?
Pepper Pie
Ballsack wrote:
I think the question should be what would it take to make Pyro more desirable to play?

You're not gonna like my answer, but TF2 Pyro.

"MRPH-HRR-HRRPH!"
I've had plenty of bad things to say about the pyro class, but it's not the usual "sniper hates pyro" rant. Quite the opposite, the only decent thing a pyro can do is kill or annoy a sniper in my opinion. Their toolbox is simply lacking.

Now it would have been more interesting if their fire rockets left a fire on the ground lasting for 2 or 3 seconds upon impact, however they can only launch 4 at a time between reloading similar to a soldier.

But I've seen this pyro useless playstyle too many times on 2fort:

Step1: dump 4 secondary fire grenades either in the 'middle of bridge' or 'under your grate'
Step2: prepare to die against the first non-scout enemy you encounter.
Bonus: the sooner you die, the sooner you'll have 4 fresh fire grenades to drop again.

If your ping is 300 & your reactions are slow, you need splash damage to hit anything. So blindly splashing with damage over time is effective if this is your last resort I guess?

I've also seen two pyro's going full fire vs fire against each other, even though neither can catch on fire & both receive reduced fire damage. Kind of like when a medic attempts to infect another medic, and keeps trying because they don't appear to be successful, lmao.
Worst class? I think you're just butthurt that when you're sniping behind a whole team of D, that I light you up and end your streak. You really light my fire, pepperjack :p
Pyros are useful in the way that, say, a medic is when they're on offense and running and dying: the slowly stacking damage. Medic chips away at a sentry so the next guy can take it out. Pyro wears enemy down even if they rarely get the kill.
Vishus
Thanoulis
nese (I'm pretty sure you're the one I recall getting consistent flag touches in a recent round.)
Vishus

The others mentioned here are so hard to kill for me. Not saying Vishus sucks but its like any pyro that has high ping seems to have its fire affect me in a different way then someone with a ping that is 50 and below. Like there is a dude named CPAV (I think) that plays pyro and he does the same things Leandroid and Thanoullis does but IDK, I have an easier time killing him then those two and hes got 40ish ping.
You just need to get some poverty ping
Ballsack wrote:

I think if the flame thrower had a solid push, it would add a useful dynamic to the class. Imagine the ability to move players you torch and having enough thrust to get you up the grate without the need of a napalm grenade.

Then again, I hate being on fire so F&@$ that class.
Spoofer TFC nerd post...

Honestly, it would only take one thing to turn Pyro into a beast. Well, not at high level, but at D2F level.

Make it so that more than just the center pixel of the flame sprite can actually connect and register damage against an opponent.

The primary reason why Pyro blows so hard is because:

1) Flames are short range projectile-based weapons that are slow AF
2) Which means you have to predict the opponent's movement and lead the flame trail like crazy
3) Because the hitbox of the flame attack seems to exist singularly as the center pixel of the flame sprite, even if it looks like your flames are connecting, most likely 80% of them are missing.

The max DPS of the flames is 133 if every flame connects (plus up to 8 DPS burn damage). Compare that to 120 Super Nailgun (which everybody knows can tear shit up if it's standing still), 73 Super Shotgun, 126 Rocket Launcher, or 320 from the AC (say 190 if you're only hitting 50% of the spray). That would basically put it as higher pure DPS than anything in the game other than the AC, which I think is fair considering it's a close-range blinding projectile and Pyro's got speed.

But drop the hit rate down to 50%, and you're at 67 DPS, which makes it worse than most every other class's Super Shottie.

But considering that anything that moves can simply outrun the flames, and how evasive players in TFC are, and you're looking at maybe a 20~30% hitrate at best in actual open combat. May as well just rely on the Single Shottie at that point.

But make the hurtbox the same as the sprite dimensions? Then you're cooking with fire.
Moose Poop is/was an absolute beast at that class.

He could stack the damage from all of his flame weapons and take someone out real fast.
I support spoofer nerd posts, get this guy more beer.

Where is moose poop these days? He hasn’t argued on the forums in easily a year fwict
I do think the forums have scared a few people off.
Moose Poop was/is very intelligent and I do miss his posts, despite the majority of people here not agreeing or arguing with him. This is a discussion forum after all.
Spoofer wrote:
But make the hurtbox the same as the sprite dimensions? Then you're cooking with fire.

This may be the most clever pun I've ever seen Spoofer post.
Leandroid is pretty good. The one thing that really comes to mind though is that one the flag was in the hallway connecting the sniper deck to the 2nd floor outside the main spawn. It should have been an easy cap but gaba kept killing himself as pyro to maintain the constant spam of the 4 napalms. The 5 second respawn time was simply worthless due to the proximity to the respawn. The physics of 4 napalms on top of each other are such that you levitate while inflicting damage.

I should experiment more with this class. I think one of the most frustrating things is being blinded by the fire. I think the main purpose of this class is support, like spamming napalm outside of the basement resupply.
Leandroide50
hunter0one
CR
Spoofer wrote:
Spoofer TFC nerd post...

Honestly, it would only take one thing to turn Pyro into a beast. Well, not at high level, but at D2F level.

Make it so that more than just the center pixel of the flame sprite can actually connect and register damage against an opponent.

The primary reason why Pyro blows so hard is because:

1) Flames are short range projectile-based weapons that are slow AF
2) Which means you have to predict the opponent's movement and lead the flame trail like crazy
3) Because the hitbox of the flame attack seems to exist singularly as the center pixel of the flame sprite, even if it looks like your flames are connecting, most likely 80% of them are missing.

The max DPS of the flames is 133 if every flame connects (plus up to 8 DPS burn damage). Compare that to 120 Super Nailgun (which everybody knows can tear shit up if it's standing still), 73 Super Shotgun, 126 Rocket Launcher, or 320 from the AC (say 190 if you're only hitting 50% of the spray). That would basically put it as higher pure DPS than anything in the game other than the AC, which I think is fair considering it's a close-range blinding projectile and Pyro's got speed.

But drop the hit rate down to 50%, and you're at 67 DPS, which makes it worse than most every other class's Super Shottie.

But considering that anything that moves can simply outrun the flames, and how evasive players in TFC are, and you're looking at maybe a 20~30% hitrate at best in actual open combat. May as well just rely on the Single Shottie at that point.

My suggestion to make Pyro better would be to have some sort of hit detection for the flamethrower flames, but this explanation takes that suggestion to another level. I'm all for it.

On the plus side, the flame thrower absolutely melts SGs.

My other suggestion to make Pyro more viable would be to remove cells as the flamethrower ammo type. This acts as a hindrance on defense because your discarded bags do not contain cells for your Engy teammates and it practically makes you a liability on offense because any savy enemy Engy is going to light you up like a powder keg and any of your teammates unfortunate enough to be close to you with a single EMP.
Proposing Scrotor
And Tanya when she/he is not in an engy outfit.
Good pyro.
Thanoulis
Leandroide

They also actually play it as their major class.

https://www.lunaticrage.com/drippy/stats/main.php?id=STEAM_0...
https://www.lunaticrage.com/drippy/stats/main.php?id=STEAM_0...
What's the best use for pyro if playing to the objective? I think next time there are 5 engies I'm gonna try pyro.
The best use of pyro if playing to the objective is to play anything other than pyro.

It has some niche uses in AvD where its speed could come in handy for HH jumps, but usually a solly would be faster and more versatile when incorporating rocket skips.

There are a small number of occasions where incendiary rocket damage through walls can help weaken or kill engies in pesky locations, if the SG spot isn't right next to a bag. This is very niche though and it's usually better to kill the engies or SGs via more effective means.

Probably its most effective role is to run to an SG location in AvD before the gates lower, and suicide a couple of times to drop free SG upgrades. This is literally its most useful role.

In CTF it offers absolutely nothing that any other classes wouldn't do immeasurably better. HWs provide orders of magnitude better suppressive fire, and soldiers provide significantly better chokepoint control. On O it's even worse, since its main threat is a slow short-range projectile stream that defenders simply have to back away from, and fire is less effective vs. SGs IIRC.

It could be effective via D2F tactics, just dropping napalm and suiciding over and over, especially if a flag is present in a tight spot. Though a skilled soldier would probably stand a better chance at preventing touches. (But there are only like 3 or 4 soldiers on the server that are at this level.)
tldr: It's a class for not playing seriously, so you may as well play it unseriously and just DM or whatever with it.
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in