Using ai (i.e. chat gpt) for coding/programming and thoughts on ai in general
General Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
I'm taking an R course. Anyone here use it? Apparently it is THE software to use for statistics. It reminds me a lot of MATLAB, not to be confused with meth lab. So for I've opted out of using Chat GPT to help me in coding with R. For that matter, I haven't even used Chat GPT. My thoughts are that I want to actually use this particular statistical coding software. To use Chat GPT rather than learn the software I'm merely learning how to use prompts in Chat GPT. I think I am vindicated in this decision given that according to this article Chat GPT gets programming stuff wrong half the time https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/07/chatgpt_stack_overflo....

I also have a general disdain for Chat GPT as I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey one too many times, including once on LSD. I also think it is way over-hyped. I read an article recently by a guy who taught programming who said at best Chat GPT codes worse than the worst programming student he had in his decades of teaching.
I just know that the terminator movies were right and I am fully prepared to use my chemistry knowledge when needed to do what Sarah Connor did if AI gets out of control. I’m too old to fight a war against machines in the future.
SG gun running, thinking for itself, self-replicating, no engineer required. Would be beyond scary.
The real question you must confront however is will that profession or career be a human one in 1year, 2years or 5years from now? If it's a side hobby of yours & you're curious to grow, then cool!

These AI tools are going to improve & grow at a very highly accelerated rate other countries typically prepare for early but not in the USA. High schoolers & colleges had cryptocurrency courses in Korea 6 years ago. The same thing will happen in the USA a decade from now if the US creates a digital dollar or CBDC, or if bitcoin becomes $1million. USA's education system isn't very forward thinking about what's on the horizon but rather what's proven to work in the past for success. Wouldn't be surprised if colleges here still taught VCR repair courses in the mid to late 2000's.

People in the 1990s couldn't imagine pocket sized computers with touchscreens, but that's nothing compared to massive waves of unemployment on the horizon mankind has never seen before once AI gets stronger. Human art & musical talent being pushed to the side for the superior computer version that can blend & morph past genius styles at the programmers whim. AI's affect on our culture & especially how much it will replace human mental labor over the next decade is by far the most unrealized topic. Physical labor will come shortly after. Those 6ft tall metal robots designed to do mindless basic human physical labor looked scary too.

That AGI self aware AI is what movies are made of & will take longer. But again, the accelerated rate of self growth/programming makes timing so unpredictable. That could happen in 35years or 5years. Even Quantum computers continue to make huge breakthroughs which means a digital world war 3 will likely follow. Insane amounts of national secrets from every country all super encrypted are out there & will suddenly be able to be read by others with such a computer.
Shitloads of matlab between college and an engineering job but never used R. What’s the advantage?

There’s a free version of matlab called octave.
What’s the difference between AI and a large language model
EmotionallyDisturbedParakeet wrote:
Shitloads of matlab between college and an engineering job but never used R. What’s the advantage?

There’s a free version of matlab called octave.

A cursory glance, the gist I got was that matlab is more for engineering and calculus while R is more for statistocs in biology. R is open source so you have a lot of nerds making packages that contain the dirty classical programming that regular users install and rather than programming what the package does itself they just use the package's code for what they need. It's like rather than doing the loops and its and else's for sv_gravity in TFC or another half life mod you just use the sv_gravity command/code to do the job. The coding is hard enough with the packages.

While less user friendly than excel it documents everything and allows for more manipulation of the data along with more options for visualizing data.
R is used for data science you cunts.
I like it, though I do have my fears.

Also, I sometimes consult ChatGPT for guidance on typing emails to my clients at work. It's a great tool for that kind of stuff, or at least a good way to get you started.
End of Thread
RefreshNext Unread
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in