Building sg/disp/tele in difficult places
General Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
I vaguely remember 20 years ago building SGs in the FR rafters. Is that still possible?
What about above basement resupply door? If so, any videos or hints how to do it?

Also I have no idea how to build a tele in the "grand canyon" of the water tunnel as LG calls it. Any help with that?

I've built a tele exit inside the enemy sniper spawn several times. Is that against server rules? I'd think not as it's not actually attacking anyone and it's easy to destroy.

Where else is it possible to build stuff that the average player rarely does?

SG in the upper parts of the FR is something I haven't seen in easily 20 years, and I don't even remember where in the FR it actually went.

Above the basement resupply can be done, but it's tricky to get the positioning right. Also, you have to grenade jump up there, so you risk killing yourself in the attempt.

That one, I could make a video on, if you'd like me to. Also, if you're smart about it... you can get a teleporter in the same spot (which would prevent the SG, obviously), but I try to pull that one off in the enemy base. The thing is, teamwork to keep it hidden is essential. You need someone willing to stay near it while you destroy and rebuild the entrance that's tied to it when enemy players aren't around. Also, when you go through... you have to remember to DUCK, lest you get STUCK.

As for a teleporter exit in the enemy Respawn... it doesn't harm anyone, and it's surprising how many people don't notice that it's not their team's colour. But honestly, there are much better places to stash one.
Should be able to get a sentry up in enemy basement resupply before the turret gets you, just to give them that "Oh, FFS" moment.
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
SG in the upper parts of the FR is something I haven't seen in easily 20 years, and I don't even remember where in the FR it actually went.

I'm wondering if it's still possible since I havent seen anyone do it. Or maybe it's just not very effective against concing medics so it's not worth the effort. I don't know.

Ignorant_Florist wrote:
That one, I could make a video on, if you'd like me to.

Yeah I'd like to see that. I definitely want to experiment with that on an empty server.

Ignorant_Florist wrote:
As for a teleporter exit in the enemy Respawn... it doesn't harm anyone, and it's surprising how many people don't notice that it's not their team's colour. But honestly, there are much better places to stash one.

Oh I know. But it's damn funny to bring 3 or 4 players through the sniper spawn. And also good to shake things up and distract the enemy every now and then.
Alright. I've got a live-stream/chat tonight (not mine) that is an every Tuesday night thing, so I'll get on that after that is done with.

I'll post a link to it later tonight.
Okay, it's currently "upscaling" the video, but the SD version should be available for now. Give it about 40 minutes (according to YouTube) for the HD version to be available.

https://youtu.be/65qTREV8JZk
"Not gonna bother setting up any binds. I mean who knows how long I'll be playing this game." —Iggy in 1999
level1nobody wrote:
Should be able to get a sentry up in enemy basement resupply before the turret gets you, just to give them that "Oh, FFS" moment.

autoturret will kill it, sadly.

Regarding fr rafter tele, no, I've never seen that.
It's possible if you get in quickly enough after tailing and killing a door-opener. https://imgur.com/a/tN0uniK
Thanks for that video Iggy! Interesting advice about keeping it rotated the wrong way until completed, very smart. I wanted to add some engineering bindings as they seem relevant when exploring difficult locations.

build 1
makes a dispenser

build 2
makes an SG

build 4
makes a teleporter entrance

build 5
makes a teleporter exit

So for instance if you wanted to spam the letter "G" to build an SG gun, to create that binding you would type this into your console (by pressing your ~ key):
bind g "build 2"

The primary advantage about binding them beyond saving time is to spam a single key when attempting to build in a difficult location making very small mouse adjustments & finding the right positioning.
I like this bind idea. I don't have enough binds. Just disp detonate. I'll have to plan out which keys to use to test them out.
And Iggy, thanks for the video. I was finally able to build an SG over basement supply last night. Server was full and I joined late so it was killed easily but still good to know how to do it. I'll test it more in the future. I still can only play 15-20 minutes before my hand starts to hurt.
Iggy, it looks like when you strafe, you "lean" that way in the video. Anybody else notice that? Mine doesn't do that...just flat plane left and right, no lean

wtf?!
I noticed that too in my own game and had a case of the Mandela effect trying to figure out if it had always been that way, or it's the 25th anniversary update. Are you still using the "beta" (old) TFC?
Nope, been using the most up to date version. I've never seen anybody have a lean effect when strafing
level1nobody wrote:
It's possible if you get in quickly enough after tailing and killing a door-opener. https://imgur.com/a/tN0uniK

I wish you had left that running, to see if the turret actually shot at the SG or not....
[IOD]Snips wrote:
Thanks for that video Iggy! Interesting advice about keeping it rotated the wrong way until completed, very smart.

You're more than welcome!

I admit that I *DID* forget to stop the build once it started dropping through the pipes, but it also showed what happens if you DON'T stop it when it doesn't place right, so "win/win" there.

You can stop the build before it detonates, adjust your position and try again (I usually do that). As you can see, it will kill you easily if you don't.
JiK MAZZ wrote:
And Iggy, thanks for the video. I was finally able to build an SG over basement supply last night. Server was full and I joined late so it was killed easily but still good to know how to do it. I'll test it more in the future. I still can only play 15-20 minutes before my hand starts to hurt.

Again, you're welcome.

If you look back through my older videos, I always find it a lot easier to rack up the kills while staying hidden by playing Demoman (I think my record is 28 in one round? but don't swear me to that, I'd have to go look). It depends on what the team needs at the time.

Also, getting up there on the enemy side is much easier as a Demo, and you can stay hidden a lot longer while getting the occasional kill but relaying basement info to your team (which can help a lot).

Once you get up there as a Demoman, though.... use the !glow command, so that in case one of the events that super-charges your health comes up, you won't start glowing once you get to 101% of Health. That's a dead giveaway.
Just remember something guys....

I didn't just "think this shit up on my own".... someone taught me how to do these things over the years.

As I was taught by someone else, I expect y'all to pass it on to someone else.
Iggy I want to add that you can get up their with much less health lost if you EMP jump. In fact the first SG I built sank through and exploded and I didn't die, although I was left with 5 health. Just because I EMP jumped and that saved a lot of health.
I know about EMP jumping, but if someone comes down and sees the dispenser against that wall, they're likely to look up and spot the SG. Also, EMP jumping takes away some of your ammo and metal.

I'm not saying it's not a valid way to get up there, but it's not my preferred method.
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
I wish you had left that running, to see if the turret actually shot at the SG or not....

It didn't. 🙂 There's a second or two at the end where it stops targeting and shooting. That part I'm sure can be tested in the sniper spawn.
I remember many years ago, me and someone else "tested" to see if two opposing SGs would target one another.

We used the map "Well" to do it on. We used the door at one of the capture points to keep them separated long enough to make both SGs up to level 3, then opened the door to see what would happen.

Both SGs targeted the opposing player, but not each other, even once the player was dead. They literally ignored one another.

You know what, though... I'd be willing to record another video doing what you suggested (on my own created server, of course... like I did with the above video).

Just to see if the turret targets it. I don't think it will, though. I base that on having built an SG in the enemy Respawn on d2f many years ago.

The turret didn't attack it, but the FIRST person to join the server (it was empty when I joined) just HAD to be an Admin, who (rightfully) hit me with a !kick after they spawned to find an SG in the Resupply with them.

I was just clowning around, since stats weren't being kept. Which is likely what kept me from getting an actual ban out of it. So... I don't recommend doing that.
End of Thread
RefreshNext Unread
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in