Ryzen or intel
General Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
i am going to slowly build a new computer
the one i have just isn't cutting it any more
what do you folks think?
Intel or Ryzen?
yes i know intel is done at i9 and needs a new mother board but at my age im fine with and i7
and i hear Ryzen processers tend to burn up.
but they are cheaper.

give me your opinion.
What do you have for a cpu now? This is the new system you got 2 years ago?
What are you starting with? Or is this a fresh build?
level1nobody wrote:
What do you have for a cpu now? This is the new system you got 2 years ago?

it's new to me but still old
i have a dell optilex 9020 with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
24gb of ram
gtx 970 graphics card
i just replaced the hdd that shit the bed with a
1tb ssd
Nookie wrote:
What are you starting with? Or is this a fresh build?

this will be a fresh build
i keep buying refurbished comps that don't last
i need to build from scratch
already been looking on pcpartspicker.com
im just curious if it would be better to go with intel or ryzen
ryzen would be cheaper but idk if it's worth it.
My current system is a GTX 1660ti and intel 4790k with 16gb RAM and it runs surprisingly well.

When you play games, can you see where the bottleneck is? (Task Manager -> Performance, CPU and GPU.)

Some games I play have a CPU bottleneck while leaving the GPU underutilized.
right now i have some problem where i play a game that really uses the cpu and gpu my comp restarts itself.
i have gone through every thing and can't find the problem so i just want something new.
i can play tfc all day with no problems but my graphics card fans barley spin for that game but
a game that needs the gpu and processer it really works hard.
level1nobody wrote:
My current system is a GTX 1660ti and intel 4790k with 16gb RAM and it runs surprisingly well.

When you play games, can you see where the bottleneck is? (Task Manager -> Performance, CPU and GPU.)

right now i couldn't check that if i wanted to
like i said if i play a game that needs the cpu and gpu it restarts itself.
Found the old thread like the geek I am. forum.php?a=vt&f=4&t=18118
this is the list i came up with on pcpartpicker.com
but i wonder if its worth going with ryzen to make it cheaper.

Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor

Deepcool GAMMAXX AG400 ARGB 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler

ASRock B760 Pro RS/D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 (2024) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

yes still needs some stuff.
level1nobody wrote:
Found the old thread like the geek I am. forum.php?a=vt&f=4&t=18118

i have learned a lot since then.
this is why im slowly going to build my new comp.
i can't afford to do it all at once so piece by piece i will buy it. just the new 970 i bought was $267 and if i would have waited and learned more i would have seen i could have bought a better one for a bit more or even a used one for less.
the reason i started this post is because i need to know should i go with Ryzen or Intel.
i have to start with the processer to know what the rest of the parts will be.
That kind of buyer's remorse will always happen, haha. I'd just bought the gtx 770 only to realize that the 1660ti is about the same, but more modern and uses only 60% of the power.
Fred, what are you going to be doing with the new computer? As in do you plan to play a little or a lot of the newer PC games? Or almost entirely TFC?

Intel or Ryzen?

I'm biased here as I've always been a fan of Intel processors & Nvidia video cards. I believe the dpc latency are lower with intel, so less microstutters and snappier more responsive feel which is important for gamers, although AMD gets better with each generation from my reading. My instincts would lean towards Intel personally.

Set your cores to the same frequency and remove the boost bullshit too regardless of which choice you make. You don't want your system clocking up and down while gaming.

Get HWMonitor (the non-pro is free)
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
With this tool running, run your game for a bit, and then check back looking at hwmonitor. This will show you so many things, such as the min and max of your cpu usage percent, even on a per core basis. See your cpu and gpu temperatures, make sure BOTH cpu/gpu are not reaching their throttle temps! This will show you your gpu usage min/max as well. Ram usage, volts, etc. You can click the reset button in hwmonitor to clear the min/max in between changes you make or different games you run for testing purposes.

You have cpu, gpu and ram. Some gamers max out one of these three, starving their system for resources. Or if the cpu/gpu usage are increasing like you said and your pc reboots, it would be helpful to see how high your cpu & gpu temperatures reached during a heavier gaming session. If playing TFC results in a stable computer, it's likely because it doesn't take much to run the game in 200+ fps.

right now i couldn't check that if i wanted to
like i said if i play a game that needs the cpu and gpu it restarts itself.

On windows 10:
Start>Settings>System>About - click "Advanced System Settings", the "Advanced" tab and finally the "Startup and Recovery" settings button. Uncheck the "Automatically restart" box so that during a system failure a blue screen of death will not trigger an automatic reboot. Now you'll be able to see the crash screen along with the error code and possibly the driver. Not sure if this still works as my systems have been stable for years.

Actually a smarter way is to test your ram, cpu, and gpu separately...

RAM:

(win10)Start>All Apps>Windows Administrator Tools>Windows Memory Diagnostic
Let the computer reboot into that mode and run the test and make sure it tests ALL the ram completely. I forget if it keeps testing until you cancel or not.

Optional but my favorite tool for over a decade has been memtest86 and its free. https://www.memtest86.com/
Get a usb thumb drive and delete everything off it. Download and install memtest86. The tool will install the boot info onto the thumb drive, now boot your computer off the thumb drive so that memtest86 runs before windows. This runs many more tests then the Windows Memory Diagonstic tool, and within its options you can set it to use all your cpu cores thus making the diagnostic even faster.

With ram this is good so that the math is checking itself for errors. If very small amounts are damaged or the timings/settings are incorrect, errors can very rarely occur but enough to make your system unstable. While testing the ram, every megabyte is tested to ensure stability.

CPU:
Get a cpu stress testing software. I've used Prime95 in the past. This stresses your cpu beyond what the most demanding game could ever require. DO NOT RUN THIS unless your newer games that worked your cpu have shown temperatures no where near the thermal limits. Have HWMONITOR running and be watching the cpu temperatures in realtime ready to shutdown the cpu stress testing software if the temperatures approach a dangerous level, pulling the plug as an emergency last resort.

GPU
Get a gpu stress testing software. I've used Heaven2009 in the past. https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven
Get one that has weaker cpu requirements & is 100% gpu bound benchmarking. Again, watch your gpu temperatures, I believe the one I have linked actually shows you your temperatures from within it while its running as its a full screen benchmark.

Finally there are other benchmarks like 3DMark/Futuremark that can test your cpu and gpu at the same time. But I like feeling confident that my cpu and gpu are at very safe levels temperature wise before I really work my system harder.

I'm against trying new software incase they have viruses in general, but everything I've linked I've used for years. Everything ANYONE downloads should always be sent to https://www.virustotal.com/ where you "choose file" and on the top right click "REANALYZE" and allow the sandbox to virus scan the file you uploaded with 70+ virus scanners & display the results. If the bigger named brands detect something then rethink your choice of running that on your system.
Fred if your cpu & gpu temps look good while under load, my suspicion would be your PSU which is your computer's power supply might not be fully functioning. You mentioned you tend to get parts or entire computers "used"? Fans & PSU tend to go first in older systems. The unstable voltages resulting in a reboot when the system is heavily used might make sense.

The tests I layed out are important for any gamer to confirm their system is stable. And even more so on a brand new computer you just buy or have built to give yourself the confidence in its stability under any condition. I have no idea if newer games are multithreaded or are mostly on single core too. Something to consider as getting a 6ghz four or six core instead of a cpu with tons of slower cores might be better. Assuming you're not doing photoshop or 4k video editing.

I would highly suggest getting a Noctura CPU cooler. I did that for both my intel gaming computers as well as my thread ripper 3970x 32core cpu build in 2020. The heatsink & fans are big, but they are super efficient and the best cooling on air I've ever seen time & time again. I've gotten nice cpu overclocks on intel with them!

Did they have any Asus or Gigabyte motherboards you liked? or did the ASRock have a unique feature that the others didn't?

You didn't mention a video card in that list. For a power supply I typically get more power then needed to ensure stability incase I buy a new videocard in the future, and also an added benefit is when a PSU's wattage is oversized for what's needed, then it's cooling fan won't turn on for the nicer ones making even less overall noise. For the cases you look at remember that bigger fans = move more air & are quieter.
way ahead of you snips, i have done all of that.
it could be the psu or the connecter going from the motherboard to the ssd. the computer is refurbished so the connecters are old,used and sloppy.
i just ordered the one for the ssd but i would still like to build a new one.
im tired of throwing Band-Aids on this comp to keep it going.
the psu is kind of new but it's not rated "bronze,gold,ect. it is a beast power 650 watt
and is enough but i think that might be the problem.
next month i am buying a new modular 80+ gold thermaltake 850 watt psu but even if it fixes the problem
i know it will be something else soon.

as for the motherboard and other parts, im just looking for what is cheap.

and yes i have been playing some newer games
look up a game called "out of ore"
that's the one that causes my comp to restart when i play it.
Intel would be the better buy especially for more gaming than lets say video compressing. Intels single thread technology has always been proven faster, more reliable then AMD's, AMD has come along way and you can get some good performance from even there cheaper cpu's but if gaming is your thing my advice would be to stick to intel.
Seems like for forever, AMD advertises more bang (speed/performance) for the buck, but at the cost of instability (they of course, wouldn't say that; I'm saying that).

Granted, my impression was forged quite some time ago and AMD most certainly has improved over time, but I would still go (and have gone) with Intel.

AMD is good to have around, if only to keep Intel honest and to provide some competition.
level1nobody wrote:

think i might take your advice and buy an i7 4790k
with the graphics card i have there would be no bottle neck, right now my cpu is at 100% with the graphics card at 30% and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than building a new one.
Idk if something else is related but I can't get over 200fps with my 3700x and rtx 2070S

Something probably happened because I used to hit my max fps all the time which is 240
fred wrote:
think i might take your advice and buy an i7 4790k
with the graphics card i have there would be no bottle neck, right now my cpu is at 100% with the graphics card at 30% and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than building a new one.

On second thought, I don't want to steer you wrong. My current system was only meant to be stopgap until I could afford a top-of-the-line gaming rig. The 4790k was a small upgrade from the $8 i3 chip I had before that wasn't cutting it.

But if you're looking for something solid, I don't know if I can honestly recommend screwing around with minor upgrades to your system. There's not much of a difference between the 4770 and the 4790k. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs...

On top of that, my motherboard supports the Asus overclock utility to squeeze every bit of power from the CPU.

LGA1150 motherboards are pretty old at this point, and the i7-4770 is over ten years old. My system does freeze every so often, but it's rarely an inconvenience. But I wouldn't wish that on other people just to save a few bucks. I personally don't mind troubleshooting an old system like mine because it's second nature for me to find out what's wrong and get an Amazon or Ebay replacement shipped.

EDIT: But then again, the 4970k only cost me 68 bucks. https://www.ebay.com/b/Core-i7-4th-Gen-Intel-Core-i7-4790K-P...
im looking at $650-$700+ even before i buy a new graphics card if i build one so im up in the air at this point.

and btw im banned from ebay lol
and btw im banned from ebay lol

Next time, sell it to a sperm bank like a normal person.
but they said i could make a deposit
That's not what the pneumatic tubes are for.
My current computer is:

Intel 4790k with HT & turboboost both disabled, locked all 4 cores to 4ghz with a noctura air cooler

32GB ram

EVGA Hybrid Nvidia 1080 Videocard

At 1080p playing at 600fps, sometimes I set the fps_max to 360-480fps depending on the class. Prefer to play conc classes at 120fps, as my display is 120hz.

TFC doesn't even make my cpu or gpu work that hard on this old game with the graphic quality turned down & the OS/drivers tweaked for maximum performance.

I used to 20box hunters in world of warcraft before shadowlands and my old 4790k's four cores were each at 100% during that though, had fun times.

Might be nice to get one of the newer intel cpu's and run it at 6ghz or higher. The thing people don't realize is even if your cpu is at 50% usage and gpu at 30% usage and you're getting 500fps on an old computer...... A newer computer with newer technology will have faster internal latencies/buffers & the game will behave smoother responding faster. Even faster ram along with tighter timings can have positive effects.
the game i need the upgrade for has these
for requirements.

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD Ryzen R5 1600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, GTX 1660 or Radeon R9 390, AMD RX 580
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 15 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

tfc doesn't need much, i get 400+ fps with what i have now.
Suggest you review processor and graphic card benchmarks for the newer game that has higher requirements.

Game publishers have been known for setting minimum requirements to display a game at a playable 1024x768 at 30fps with all sliders dragged to the lowest setting.

Comparison review sites can assist you in identifying if that game title is going to be more cpu or gpu demanding overall.

Also what is the native resolution along with highest refresh rate (hz) of your gaming monitor? It will take a much stronger computer to generate 120fps or 240fps at all times. There are diminishing returns the higher you go with refreshrates, but what can be felt by everyone are the fps dips when in certain games the FPS drops low occasionally due to insufficient hardware, thus screwing up your immersion & possibly your aim.
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in