Tfc is super laggy - need some help
General Discussion➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Hi all,

Not sure what's going on, everything is delayed for some reason and not sure if it is my rates etc.

Years ago, I had absolutely zero issues now TFC is unplayable - which originally is the reason I quit playing but thought I'd give it a shot to try and diagnosis one last time.

All grenades are delayed, rockets, shotgun. When I die, I get that "lag" skip frame and next thing I know I'm randomly dead, laying on the ground. Feels like I am in a constant lag state with relatively loss/choke 0 or sometimes minor choke.

UP/DOWN - 400mb

scripts: bhop jump;wait, auto reload.
Rate: 10,000
cl_cmdrate: 101
cl_updaterate: 30

TFC set to Beta (off/on doesn't change it)

- New computer
- New fiber internet
- Moved, but in the same area (I know UPSET suffers some of the same issues might be a hop/server relay issue somewhere, as we live relatively close.)

Any help would be appreciated, at a loss.

Thanks in advance!
no idea what any numbers do for anything in this game. however, i have:
rate 30000
cl_cmdrate 999
cl_updaterate 101
Are you using wifi? You should be on a wired connection.

Also make sure your video mode is set to OpenGL and not software rendering.

Rates look good to me, and the server connection to your router looks solid.
Wait.... people still use wired connections to their router?

How quaintly 20th century....
straightcashhomie wrote:
Hi all,

Not sure what's going on, everything is delayed for some reason and not sure if it is my rates etc.

Years ago, I had absolutely zero issues now TFC is unplayable - which originally is the reason I quit playing but thought I'd give it a shot to try and diagnosis one last time.

All grenades are delayed, rockets, shotgun. When I die, I get that "lag" skip frame and next thing I know I'm randomly dead, laying on the ground. Feels like I am in a constant lag state with relatively loss/choke 0 or sometimes minor choke.

UP/DOWN - 400mb

scripts: bhop jump;wait, auto reload.
Rate: 10,000
cl_cmdrate: 101
cl_updaterate: 30

TFC set to Beta (off/on doesn't change it)

- New computer
- New fiber internet
- Moved, but in the same area (I know UPSET suffers some of the same issues might be a hop/server relay issue somewhere, as we live relatively close.)

Any help would be appreciated, at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what your video settings are but try disabling "wait for vsync" in TFC settings if enabled, in addition to disabling gsync if you run an Nvidia card. May be causing some of the lag you speak of, worth a try.
drippy- wrote:
Are you using wifi? You should be on a wired connection.

Also make sure your video mode is set to OpenGL and not software rendering.

Rates look good to me, and the server connection to your router looks solid.

Wired, video mode is OpenGL - vsync also not the issue.

Thanks for looking at the connection, very odd.
Ignorant_Florist wrote:

Want to be wired for FPS, can get away without it with MMOs.
Legacy or updated anniversary version?
Sorry, not sure how to check that.
Library > Half-Life > Properties > Betas.
Is it beta or steam legacy?
Oh, I have it selected to Beta right now. Other option is 'none.' I've tried both. Doesn't seem to matter.
straightcashhomie wrote:
Ignorant_Florist wrote:

On "modern" games, maybe.... but I've not had a problem using wireless for over a decade now. As old as my PC is, I don't think it even has connection for wired connector, and if it does, I have no clue where it would even be.

With TFC, even a shitty wireless connection should work fine. I'm not only not in the same room as our router, I'm not even on the same floor as our router, and get zero lag, packet drop, etc... and I can be on the server, streaming live, while my wife and son are both either streaming or gaming at the same time (or, in my wife's case, streaming AND gaming at the same time)........

Maybe Comcast/Xfinity IS worth what we're paying for it....
Where did my original comment go? (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Anyway lots of things can affect why one would have poor performance. Remember that this game is old enough to have gotten its bachelors degree, masters degree and half way done with its PhD (25 years old). So that would mean the game is going to perform best with a good CPU with good single core performance (I had so so performance with an AMD FX-9590 chip which had shit single core performance). With that in mind, having good RAM speeds (might as well have RAM for the max rated speed for your motherboard without needing to overclocking) is a plus. No need for large amounts of RAM for this game anyway. GPU I guess can be mediocre as I strongly believe this game is CPU biased and not as much GPU (I read this in an article where players who build PCs around certain games and build it around having a powerful CPU or powerful GPU based on how the game was designed). Putting your PC in high performance mode from the Power Options is also a good idea. Rare but check your ISP with a speed test from Ookla to determine if you are having issues with a server in NJ (Server is located in Edison, NJ). I think drippy posted something here a long time ago on how to check for packet loss and stutter and stuff. Some people here have actually had to yell at their ISPs from what I read in regards to how many hops they needed to connect to the server. Also if you are running an overclock on the CPU (or GPU), maybe dial it back or don’t overclock.

In game settings like what was mentioned are good advice but also enable your net graph in game so you can hone it in further. I believe the settings mentioned here what you need focus on. Below are the settings I mess with:
cl_updaterate "102"
cl_cmdrate "255"
rate "100000"
gl_vsync "0"
fps_override "1"
fps_max "250"
ex_interp "0"
cl_mousegrab "0"
m_customaccel "0"
m_customaccel_exponent "0"
m_customaccel_max "0"
m_customaccel_scale "0"
m_mousethread_sleep "1"
m_filter "0"
m_rawinput "1"
r_drawviewmodel "0"
default_fov "110"
con_color "255 255 255"
hud_centerid "1"

I based cl_updaterate and rate from literature online. cl_cmdrate from my research is supposed to be 5 FPS higher than what you are running with. gl_vsync is the same command you would check off in the menus. Also do not forget about setting your FPS and unlocking it with the fps_override and fps_max commands.

I know internet speed matters but 400/ 400 should be decent if you live near Upset (he averages 40 ms). I never heard of him having issues/ have not seen him perform less due to it. You said new PC so assuming you bought it off the shelf, get rid of the bloatware and make sure nothing is running in the background taking up resources. Legacy is the way to go I am told a few players can go back and forth and not suffer hits to performance.

Now fix your shit so I can see you 1v1 pepperjack because I am bored.

EDIT- Forgot to mention but activate and look at your net graph in game. You want all the lines to converge so whatever settings you use, make sure everything is stable. You do not want it to resemble a heart beat montior.
amnesia wrote:

I thought we didn't have a choice in that? I was under the impression that Steam forced that on us, like rape in prison.....
XenOz3r0xT wrote:

Ralphy ate it.

;)
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
amnesia wrote:

I thought we didn't have a choice in that? I was under the impression that Steam forced that on us, like rape in prison.....

Nah, I switched back to legacy ages ago and am still on it. Anniversary version fucks with my fast weapon switch for some reason... apart from that it feels a bit smoother than legacy. I'd be using it if not for that.

straightcashhomie wrote:
Oh, I have it selected to Beta right now. Other option is 'none.' I've tried both. Doesn't seem to matter.

My options: https://i.imgur.com/on7QO1Q.png
Unlikely to be causing your issue anyway, I was just going to suggest switching between versions to see if it made a difference.
I have none or beta, legacy isn't an option.
XenOz3r0xT wrote:

Anyway lots of things can affect why one would have poor performance. Remember that this game is old enough to have gotten its bachelors degree, masters degree and half way done with its PhD (25 years old). So that would mean the game is going to perform best with a good CPU with good single core performance (I had so so performance with an AMD FX-9590 chip which had shit single core performance). With that in mind, having good RAM speeds (might as well have RAM for the max rated speed for your motherboard without needing to overclocking) is a plus. No need for large amounts of RAM for this game anyway. GPU I guess can be mediocre as I strongly believe this game is CPU biased and not as much GPU (I read this in an article where players who build PCs around certain games and build it around having a powerful CPU or powerful GPU based on how the game was designed). Putting your PC in high performance mode from the Power Options is also a good idea. Rare but check your ISP with a speed test from Ookla to determine if you are having issues with a server in NJ (Server is located in Edison, NJ). I think drippy posted something here a long time ago on how to check for packet loss and stutter and stuff. Some people here have actually had to yell at their ISPs from what I read in regards to how many hops they needed to connect to the server. Also if you are running an overclock on the CPU (or GPU), maybe dial it back or don’t overclock.

In game settings like what was mentioned are good advice but also enable your net graph in game so you can hone it in further. I believe the settings mentioned here what you need focus on. Below are the settings I mess with:
cl_updaterate "102"
cl_cmdrate "255"
rate "100000"
gl_vsync "0"
fps_override "1"
fps_max "250"
ex_interp "0"
cl_mousegrab "0"
m_customaccel "0"
m_customaccel_exponent "0"
m_customaccel_max "0"
m_customaccel_scale "0"
m_mousethread_sleep "1"
m_filter "0"
m_rawinput "1"
r_drawviewmodel "0"
default_fov "110"
con_color "255 255 255"
hud_centerid "1"

I based cl_updaterate and rate from literature online. cl_cmdrate from my research is supposed to be 5 FPS higher than what you are running with. gl_vsync is the same command you would check off in the menus. Also do not forget about setting your FPS and unlocking it with the fps_override and fps_max commands.

I know internet speed matters but 400/ 400 should be decent if you live near Upset (he averages 40 ms). I never heard of him having issues/ have not seen him perform less due to it. You said new PC so assuming you bought it off the shelf, get rid of the bloatware and make sure nothing is running in the background taking up resources. Legacy is the way to go I am told a few players can go back and forth and not suffer hits to performance.

Now fix your shit so I can see you 1v1 pepperjack because I am bored.

EDIT- Forgot to mention but activate and look at your net graph in game. You want all the lines to converge so whatever settings you use, make sure everything is stable. You do not want it to resemble a heart beat montior.

Everything you mentioned outside of dealing with my ISP is accounted for. It strictly 'feels' server/client side; almost like I have a static 1 sec delay somehow.

I tinkered with rates again, I have my net graph out and I'm not seeing anything that's problematic, not saying there isn't in any of the rates.

Vsync/gsync all accounted for, fps max/override is on par with fps/cl_cmdrate +5 (thanks spoofer)

Built the PC; clean as a ... well as clean as my search history.

As for upset, I just know from time to time he has issues also. Once I get this fixed, be more than happy to 1v1.
It's not by chance an audio delay, is it? There's a cvar that may help with that.
^ you talking about when you hit voice comms that it lags for a second? That’s been happening to me for a while.
Not sure about that, but could be. What I noticed was audio feedback from weapons being off by half a second or so.

EDIT: _snd_mixahead: try setting to 0 or 0.1
Don't think so, worth testing.

I'd say perhaps - but, my rockets will be delayed and the example on death, I'll just skip a frame and end up dead on the ground, if that makes sense (just like when you're lagging really bad.)

Ignorant_Florist wrote:

Ethernet is far more reliable than wireless.
Ignorant_Florist wrote:

Don't start recommending people use wifi because it works good enough for you, lol. That's like telling people you often leave a jar of mayo in the sun for hours & have yet to get sick. Or you rub dirt on deep cuts & have yet to get an infection.

I have Gaba on my side now. Sure all of his bees died due to the eclipse, but his scorpions are stronger than ever!
The first step is identifying "laggy", I'm typing this mostly for the OP but if it helps others too then that's good. People choose this word based off of a "feeling", but you need to take steps to properly identify your precise problem.

There is input delay, this ranges from old mice/keyboard to new 10,000 hz devices bogging down the USB interrupt controllers & possibly other stuff too. Add USB hubs and other garbage plugged in and input delays can get worse. Like Statix suggested, disable VSYNC as the video card is literally holding frames to reduce tearing adding input "lag". If you are playing on a large screen TV, then additional display delays are introduced with processing unless you take steps to disable or avoid those.

Next there is an inconsistent "frames per second" where you're getting 117fps most of the time but on the bridge it dips down to 47fps or 68fps for a half second affecting your aim making the otherwise smooth motions feel laggy, or perhaps inconsistent.

Internet Connection
And of course you have the actual network or home internet connection responsible for the TFC data packets affecting the actual in-game lag. Connect with a wired internet connection whenever possible, if that's not possible try a powerline adapter, avoid wifi as the very last resort. Wifi isn't full duplex, it can only send or receive at any given moment so it switches in-between both roles at extremely fast speeds. Anytime wifi renegotiates a speed, lag spikes occur, and with the growing number of radio interference devices (wifi traffic interferes with itself even) this isn't ideal. The biggest thing about wifi is the issues or problems are inconsistent - it could be "okay" most days, but micro lag pops up. Spending $80 on a powerline, hooking it up to your Ethernet port and just being interference free for decades is smart. #1 way is running ethernet, or pay to have a line installed through your attic or around your house and benefit from solid internet for decades. If your gaming pc doesn't have an ethernet port (as some have mentioned), if it's a desktop computer simply buy a PCIe ethernet card to install an internal card to have such a port. If you have no slots free OR you're using a laptop, buy a USB to Ethernet adapter (USB to LAN adapter, also known as) but the internal card or built in ones are slightly better.

Ethernet > Powerline Adapter (simulating ethernet through electrical wiring) > wifi
Ethernet built-in or Ethernet card > USB to Ethernet
Fiber > Cable > DSL > Satellite

Diagnose - perform 3 tests below
Taking my suggestions to heart, unplug your printers and non-essential stuff connected to your computer. Shutdown other stuff running in the background as well. Try plugging in an older mouse and keyboard as well. Play TFC again, is it suddenly massively better? If not, replug the devices back in and continue.

Next try playing TFC looking at your netgraph (net_graph 1) and replace the 1 with 2 or 3 too and look at the charts. Play like garbage where you're running around reacting only with your side vision never looking away from the fps numbers. This is most effective if you can test this with your frames per second never changing even while the server is full 27/27 players. Anything from game settings being changed, to video cards being auto-updated through windows update can massively lower computing power resulting in fps spiking lower then your fps_max, resulting in a "feel" of lag or inconsistent fps. Watch your fps in real-time non-stop for 5 minutes as you run around and into explosions. Also if you don't get rocket lag in a 1v1 or 3v3 with much less action going on, this could be a sign too.

Finally try playing with a corded internet connection if you're typically wifi exclusive. Move the PC or laptop to the router for a brief test to see if this final test makes a change. Typically your ping or latency in-game might change, where lower is better if this was an issue.
Does the laggy gameplay happen on other TFC servers? Does the laggy gameplay occur in completely different computer games too? Do you get laggy gameplay if you start your own TFC server for a brief test? Like are rockets delayed when your ping is 0 when you make your own game? It's good that you have your own baseline of expectations too as you said years ago you had absolutely zero issues, so you know what you're looking for. You could also try creating a video to put onto youtube to show the issue too. This might help separate the input or display lag, as a video can't capture that. Be sure to have your net_graph shown so we can see the fps to rule that out too if you go that route.

The two biggest things that sticks out is you said you're on fiber internet which should give you the lowest ping & best online gaming experience. The other is you said New Computer. Was your old computer super responsive in tfc, and your new computer (assuming newer technology everywhere) has massive delays & constant laggy feel? Might be operating system or in-game settings causing this rather than an internet connection or location issue.
I'll list what I use and why in-game:

rate 8000000
Too low a number and you'll get choke and other lag related issues is the important thing. This was mostly important for fine tuning 28.8 dialup vs 56k dialup internet connections 24 years ago. Not sure if there's much of a difference between 800000 vs 8000000

Some csgo guides say:
rate 125000
This is if your internet is 1.0 Mbps
rate 375000
This is if your internet is 3.0 Mbps
rate 786432
(max rate value possible) This is if your internet is 6.2Mbps

cl_updaterate 102
This is the rate at which you can read data, this is locked on Drippys to a max of 102. If you set it to 999, it will downset with the message locking it back to 102. You want this to be as high as possible for faster inputs of what's going on FROM the server.

cl_cmdrate 306
This is the rate at which you can send data TO the server I believe. Sometimes I use 102 to match the read data, but there is no cap for this. This forces more data, but again none of us are on 5Mbps or 10Mbps internet connections these days so whatever. I thought perhaps having 3x more sending than receiving might be better, I'm still experimenting with this variable.

I'm using the Legacy version right now. Anniversary was just terrible, I might experiment with it again later. It's on my long list of things to mess with.

fps_override 1
You must have this set to 1 for the next variable to work below.

fps_max 599.5
Always set this to 0.5 fps lower then your target, because the game adds that amount to your number! I have a 120hz monitor at the moment, so I've found that having 120fps, 240fps, 360fps, 480fps or 600fps works best. So this being multiples of my hz in an attempt to reduce screen tearing a little. This variable sets the highest fps allowed for the game to perform. I run a few scripts that change my grenade binding keys along with my fps_max depending on my class all with a single key press. So if I was sniping I'd have 600fps, whereas if I was playing scout or medic it would be 120fps. Very high fps can make you clip onto walls & screw with bhopping poorly. Very slight delays can be removed when greatly exceeding your monitors hz too, so the very old rule of fps above your monitors hz being a complete waste isn't always true, especially when fast paced sniping. If you're not sniping or just want to play casually, if your monitor is 144hz then set this to: fps_max 143.5
Ignorant_Florist wrote:
straightcashhomie wrote:
Ignorant_Florist wrote:

On "modern" games, maybe.... but I've not had a problem using wireless for over a decade now. As old as my PC is, I don't think it even has connection for wired connector, and if it does, I have no clue where it would even be.

With TFC, even a shitty wireless connection should work fine. I'm not only not in the same room as our router, I'm not even on the same floor as our router, and get zero lag, packet drop, etc... and I can be on the server, streaming live, while my wife and son are both either streaming or gaming at the same time (or, in my wife's case, streaming AND gaming at the same time)........

Maybe Comcast/Xfinity IS worth what we're paying for it....

Even minor microstutters leaving a typical 30-40ms to 60-80 or 110 for a half second every minute, few minutes or on occasion throughout a match is enough to make you lose hits against your enemies. You might not recall such delays playing out or have identified this as an issue affecting gameplay, but they're still there.

My understanding is the very massive "holy shit" lag spikes is when your wifi & the router/modem are re-negotiating to a different speed. For instance, if your current wifi speed is 192Mbps (perhaps 1200Mbps if in the same room as the router) and due to microwave/refrigerator/phones/tablets/TV/neighbors or countless other stuff being used improves or downgrades your wifi's connection then that changing of speed process is like a kick to the balls towards your ping for a brief moment.

Because you're a heavy internet user, in that you have multiple gamers that are also streaming combined with the fact that you're a great distance from your router means exploring a powerline adapter setup might be amazing for your setup. You might suddenly have no jitter with a powerline! Or hookup your 4k TV to powerline to remove 40Mbps wifi usage from your traffic improving your other home devices. OR even better then that, would be to pay $100-$300 to have someone install $50 worth of cat8 ethernet cable around your house or through your attic. Hookup a $20 TPLink switch giving you 7 or more additional ethernet ports in your gaming room. Hookup another router or wifi mesh or whatever extender at that point also! Now in other rooms in your home they can connect wirelessly to your gaming computer's wifi source further boosting their speeds & connectivity as there's less of a distance to go then that single router floors & walls away. I have a 150ft ethernet cable run through my attic, and another 100ft around the side of my house connecting at 2500Mbps and I couldn't be happier. You can't beat 0ms jitter & 0 packet loss with a corded connection.

Iggy I get what you're saying in that you have plenty of bandwidth for many gamers & even streaming. Where if you didn't then 500-3000ms spikes might show up while gaming which isn't the case for you. The main thing that I've been talking about is jitter, where your ping fluctuates either drastically for a split second a few times per minute to once every few minutes. Or perhaps you get small wild swings constantly while playing, like instead of nonstop 42-46ms on your net_graph it bounces up and down inbetween 45-70ms very quickly.

Grab a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter if your PC doesn't have ethernet. Tryout a powerline adapter to avoid long cables & simply return to Amazon if it isn't great due to your electrical wiring. Sorry for the long length, only typing this because I care!
[IOD]Snips wrote:
Does the laggy gameplay happen on other TFC servers? Does the laggy gameplay occur in completely different computer games too? Do you get laggy gameplay if you start your own TFC server for a brief test? Like are rockets delayed when your ping is 0 when you make your own game? It's good that you have your own baseline of expectations too as you said years ago you had absolutely zero issues, so you know what you're looking for. You could also try creating a video to put onto youtube to show the issue too. This might help separate the input or display lag, as a video can't capture that. Be sure to have your net_graph shown so we can see the fps to rule that out too if you go that route.

The two biggest things that sticks out is you said you're on fiber internet which should give you the lowest ping & best online gaming experience. The other is you said New Computer. Was your old computer super responsive in tfc, and your new computer (assuming newer technology everywhere) has massive delays & constant laggy feel? Might be operating system or in-game settings causing this rather than an internet connection or location issue.

Okay, tinkered around with some rates made it worse, set them back and it was still bad. Created my own server and it was still there.

I played for many many years with these same .config. I'd say around 2021-22 is when it started - on a completely different PC and now, with a new PC/fiber, still here.

Question, how do I get the legacy option available? I wonder if that's the overall issue? When did the "beta" option become available?

Something changed in the last 2-3 years that ruined my TFC. As I stated, been using the same configs/models etc. since like 2006.

I have zero issue with any other game.
List the specs?

Also for the legacy option you right click on Half Life 1 in your library and right click on it then click on Properties. Then click on Betas and for Beta Participation click on the drop down and make sure "steam_legacy Pre-25th Anniversary Build" is chosen. AFAIK you do not need to do anything to TFC as doing it in Half Life 1 will affect all games that rely on Half Life 1. Your Half Life 1 will also change to "Half Life [steam_legacy]".

EDIT- You know what else? Maybe in your TFC directory, copy and paste what your config.cfg files and all other .cfg files that would have an effect on settings. Maybe something in there is on and should not be on.
If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in