[Poll] Drippy, we need to talk..
Whiners Corner➕ New Thread↩ Reply to Thread🔎 Search
PosterMessage
Poll: Does Drippy's Server need to change things

Yes (15%)

No (65%)

It's fine as it is (20%)

Poll has ended (it ran for 7 days). 20 total votes.

Drippy, bro, I come in peace.. so please don't hurl abuse at me.

The server is losing players to the other servers at peak times, mainly the 1999 one. Why? Because people want to play other maps, plus spies (gas grenades) and snipers (skilled snipers x4 at times) can cause major lockdowns on 2fort. So, we either "go with the flow" or we lag behind.

May I suggest a few things that could improve our server, making it more enjoyable to play here?

• Every third map is Dustbowl (limited to prime-time weekends). 2fort only at all other times.
• Or, how about trying out 2Fort2k? The one with wider spirals, elevators etc
• In the event of a bore draw (both teams with very effective defence), an admin can launch the "spam-fest" event (a maximum of once per map), moving everyone to the bridge and fucking shit up, making it easier for teams to then go on the offensive afterwards.
• The removal of the washing machine and lunar gravity events (or a drastic reduction in the length). They're fun, but go on way too long. It's not unusual to see people leave during these game-stopping events. Maybe reduce ALL events to 10 seconds? We have a bit of fun (which is good), but then we carry on.
• A limit on spies and snipers; two per team, max.
• Spy gas-grenade damage reduced to 1 dmg per tick. The 4x gas-grenades per spy cause WAY too much damage. It stops the game in its tracks. Now, times that gas-grenade spam by 3x spies..
• Sniper AR dmg reduced significantly. Even I admit that it's too OP..
• Pyro napalm-grenade damage reduced to 1 dmg per tick. It's too OP as is.
• HW Guy FPS limited, to avoid massive bursts of damage from those who set their FPS to 1000 and abuse the game mechanics (you ever wondered how 187 and the other unstoppable HW Guys mow everybody down in their paths, including other HW Guys?).
• Maybe raise the bunnyhop cap? Just by a little bit, to satisfy the better player's needs.

They're just a few things that come to mind. Drippy, I've really enjoyed playing here over the years and just want to see the server maintain its dominance. To see the other server snaffle our regulars is a sad sight to behold. Is it time to do something about it? You're the boss, but we're all here to help you with any ideas.

If after 20 years the D2F regulars still can't comprehend 2fort, they don't belong anywhere near AvD maps like Dustbowl that always require playing intelligently as a team towards the objective with proper communication and coordination. For many of this server's regulars, never in their lifetime would they be capable of rising to the level required for proper AvD gameplay, so please don't make the server's gameplay even worse than it already is. They can join the replacement to X's bot server and stand behind SGs whacking them with wrenches for half an hour every map where the bots are too dumb to respond, if they want to experience other maps in a way that aligns with their abilities.

FPS no longer has any statistically significant bearing on firing rates. Good HWs mow other players down because other players are bad and good HWs are generally decent to good players overall.

Everything else is fine, and vanilla TFC is an extraordinarily well-balanced game aside from Pyro being nearly useless. I'd agree that getting rid of the BHop cap would make a lot of us happy, but it'd probably make the majority of D2F's regulars unhappy, the ones who complain about everything and can't handle the game's mechanics.

Which segues into complaining about AR and pills and napalm. Get better or recognize that there exist valid countermeasures to snipers, and play another class if you can't overcome them? If I'm playing sniper I still find ways to control bridge or front door even with nonstop spam, and if it becomes insurmountable it's because the team is bad and has no one pushing bridge, and I simply change class to try to turn the tide and inspire the team to grow some balls.
Why is there an option for "No" as well as "It's fine as it is"

Sniper AR dmg reduced significantly. Even I admit that it's too OP..

It is not over powered.
Woah spoof, elitist much. It does not take a PhD to play dust bowl. Also, these guys don’t play horrible for a pub server. There is a reason people on forums complain about how difficult it is to score on this server. Go back to 2001 and randomly jump on a full pub server and you wouldn’t have nearly as hard of a time scoring, fact.

As for changing the server, I don’t think it’s broken. So no need to fix.
What are "peak hours"?
Help wrote:
Woah spoof, elitist much. It does not take a PhD to play dust bowl. Also, these guys don’t play horrible for a pub server. There is a reason people on forums complain about how difficult it is to score on this server. Go back to 2001 and randomly jump on a full pub server and you wouldn’t have nearly as hard of a time scoring, fact.

As for changing the server, I don’t think it’s broken. So no need to fix.

It would take a long time to get agreement as to what changes should even be made. Can't make everyone happy.

Hitz if you have any experience coding or modding you might be able to test your ideas out on a parallel server rather than trying to change drippy's, which is not particularly likely to happen.

Trying to think if there's anything I'd genuinely want to change. Maybe the bhop cap.

There's a few individuals I wish would leave the community altogether.
On the flip side, there are players I wish would come back. Help, you're on that list. PTA posts on the forums but doesn't play as far as I can tell. Wish he would. Moose poop has apparently been playing other games. Like him wish he'd come back. Matt hasn't been playing much, I'm missing out on opportunities to destroy his right wing cracker ass.
The Drippy regulars have patience. Perhaps your team is stacked, perhaps your team is doomed to fail. If you play here long enough banging your head against the obstacles your skill develops over time.

On other servers when presented with a list of maps, excuses are born & strategies never develop. Players vote for a map change, and perhaps their choice of map wins. And two minutes into the new game if they're not succeeding immediately, they demand a different map change. Never satisfied.

It's like a handyman that is a very shitty plumber, even worse carpenter & your house will surely burn down if you allow him do electrical work. When somebody can't focus on a single profession & really develop and craft their skills, they continue to be bad at everything equally. The same is true for seeking skills in-game for a particular class or map.
The server is losing players to the other servers at peak times, mainly the 1999 one. Why? Because people want to play other maps, plus spies (gas grenades) and snipers (skilled snipers x4 at times) can cause major lockdowns on 2fort. So, we either "go with the flow" or we lag behind.

I only bring these things up because you mentioned 1999 implying it's sophisticated & with less rules and more maps everything is better.

You have Blorp busy pointing fingers at the bots yelling "cheater!"
You have Bacon like clockwork heading for the enemies main respawn to drop pipes across every map seeking fresh kill farming.
You have cheaters using hacks over there, but they contribute monthly to the servers rental fees.

Should Drippy have 6 guys in spectate 24/7 to pump up the statistics for how popular our server is? Or trick brand new players into believing the bots we could introduce during off-hours is a testament to how popular our server is? No.
• Every third map is Dustbowl (limited to prime-time weekends). 2fort only at all other times.
• Or, how about trying out 2Fort2k? The one with wider spirals, elevators etc

Experimentation with map changes or rotations seeking a "winning formula" for acceptance & tolerance would take time. More importantly the success & failure of such an experiment would be best served on a second Drippy's server separate from the primary one. Have faith in your suggestion that it would win with popularity over time while running parallel to the current 2fort option, but be ready to accept the fact it very likely wouldn't.

Would be nice if donations for a second server could get started someday. Side bonus for having a second server is to experiment in removing/reducing or keeping the bhop caps the same there. Again, let the numbers in popularity speak for themselves when messing around with that separately.

The main counterargument to my own suggestion is if the player base is already too small, then fracturing 8 guys onto a map rotation server and 8 guys onto the main 2fort server would be kind of boring for primetime. Meanwhile 11+ gamers decide to skip this game all together for other games with full servers.
On other servers when presented with a list of maps, excuses are born & strategies never develop. Players vote for a map change, and perhaps their choice of map wins. And two minutes into the new game if they're not succeeding immediately, they demand a different map change. Never satisfied.

There's not tons more cohesion on the other pub servers. You're likely to see more grapefruits, but unless it's a pickup there's still going to be untalented players.

Pickups are highly competitive and I'm not looking to play TFC competitively, and they bore me, tbh.

Watching pickups is highly entertaining, however. There are lots of players out there I've observed over the years that truly are on a different stratosphere of skill and talent.
The only effective solution for would be to bring back Drippy's #2. Asking D2F to change maps would completely change the scope, name, and stats of the server.
Definitely a well thought-out post Hitz, though so thanks for posting.
Personally, I haven't seen much of a drop in players, but I mostly play later at night here in the US east coast. I do see people in 1999 but it's also empty a bit. Funtown is dead. OST is OST, they do their thing late at night EST, by that time, most of D2F has emptied out.
I've also noticed there's a lot of D2F banned players playing in the other servers because they probably have nowhere else to go.

I know there's a player joins graph somewhere for D2F. If we are truly losing players I'd think the graph would show that
drippy unbanned a bunch of people, including our favorite Nazi and much-missed Muaddib.

I don't have a way to get in touch with him to let him know he's unbanned.

We need his dose of toxicity back.

He's on my steam list. Last online 2,821 days ago.
I found him via steam ID lookup, he's definitely not active on steam.

He had a website, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name. American Hell or Hell on Earth or something dark like that, with a closeup of the statue of liberty's face.
I believe this is his YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/@NXSchell
I wonder if his full name is Erik Schell.
If I can get a phone number and/or city in Mass he lives/lived in I can use my paid background check service I use for tenant applications to find him.
Did he live near Cape Cod. I recall him inviting someone who was visiting Cape Cod to hang out with him but they declined.
• A limit on spies and snipers; two per team, max.
• Spy gas-grenade damage reduced to 1 dmg per tick. The 4x gas-grenades per spy cause WAY too much damage. It stops the game in its tracks. Now, times that gas-grenade spam by 3x spies..
• Sniper AR dmg reduced significantly. Even I admit that it's too OP..
• Pyro napalm-grenade damage reduced to 1 dmg per tick. It's too OP as is.

Spoofer said it best that there are already counter measures. Speaking as a sniper, sometimes I want to play soldier or medic very badly however I continue getting sniped down by the enemy on offense. So I'll have to switch to sniper and in doing so this balances everything better. If there was a limit of 2snipers & our two were sniping indoors for some reason my ability to balance that situation would have been different.

I'll offer some constructive idea changes. What if a spy's gas-grenade's damage was reduced, however enemies standing in it receive a greatly buffed visual penalty? "Raining men" or "Earthquake" events specifically affecting that player only. Or add x number of seconds to that personal event similar to a pill's current visual penalty after leaving the pill's affected area. Stacking pills would no longer be a threat to resupply or prevent passage in a hallway if the damage was massively reduced. Friendly pill armor stripping should be removed as it currently stands too.

Or identifying other ways to buff/boost a visual penalty & nerf the damage of a long duration secondary grenade type. If their intent is to stop snipers, fuck with them better. For a spy pill on deck, snipers currently just take two steps to the right & carry on.

I'm all for sniper AR reduction too. That weapon was never designed to be used with "FOV 10" zooming macros. Too many snipers miss closeup charged shot opportunities. Or recognize their positioning & awareness sucks as they find themselves with the AR too often.
I'm all for sniper AR reduction too. That weapon was never designed to be used with "FOV 10" zooming macros. Too many snipers miss closeup charged shot opportunities. Or recognize their positioning & awareness sucks as they find themselves with the AR too often.

I've been accused of having a zoom script on ar numerous times (my ar zoom is the same view as unzoomed sniper rifle, which I think I set to 50 or 60, my fov for other classes is 120 or 130 cant remembuh).

It seems like the easiest fucking thing in the world to fast switch from sniper to ar, put the cursor on their avatar, pew pew them a bit to jitter their view so you can change positions, and fast switch to sniper and pot shot.
The only change that would actually improve the server is the kind of grenade bag timer that EVIL has. That's it.
[IOD]Snips wrote:
If you play here long enough banging your head against the obstacles your skill develops over time.

this in in fact a lie. several of these players still have no clue the proper placement of the most basic map ever.

but lower washing machine time, not sure whose idea it was to make it a full minute. a good portion of the server stops playing when this is on. 15 seconds would be fine, maybe 30. but 60 seconds is just too long for this shitty event. this event causes the most people to quit the server, imo.

remove bhop cap as i said in every post. never happen as to many cry babies in here, going back to the quote, still no skills developed over time.
This server is not built to support skilled players. That's not the point. It's almost like it's meant to be a haven or something for the perpetual noob.
OH YA IT LITERALLY SAYS NEWB HAVEN IN THE FUCKING SERVER TITLE I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT LMFAOROFLSKATESROTFLMFAOFU

Skill does develop over time, I didn't specify how much or little though. That is determined on the player & their mindset. Are they hungry to identify their least played class and "try it out again"?

If you think you're a god & there's nothing left to learn, you'll never explore trying new things or observing the successful patterns of others. If you've convinced yourself there's nowhere to grow or improve due to your level of gameplay then you're missing out. The better you get the more diminishing returns for improvement there are but they'll always exist. There are quite a few people that have this viewpoint of just having fun & never having a hunger for growth sadly.

It's like saying people are incapable of learning anything in life too, it's actually hard to avoid learning in general over time. A 60 year old man will always be wiser then he was at 20 due to life experiences. But there are plenty of old dumbshits in the world too so don't misinterpret that for all old people are wise.
The only thing that I hate about the current server is the slower hardware. Inconsistent performance, occasional choke, additional delays more on par with an out of country server regardless of reported ping. Somedays are better than others, but 1999 and other servers with nearly identical in-game ping times have a very different performance speed that's very apparent.

However I haven't donated any money & realize the server rental has expenses. Would be like me complaining that my neighbor should buy a new car, but I don't offer anything to help that, thus a dick move.

The server used to Run with a Pentium III 600Mhz, which I'm guessing at 100% load in the past.

Now running a server with a 13 year old processor at 40% of a single core, last year Drippy said it changed from 30% to 40% from the anniversary update. Again guessing it's an i5-2500 from 2011 perhaps? as the listed stockspeed is 3.3ghz too.

Let's say a brand new current generation processor could run the server at 20% usage of a single core. I do not think the end game experience for connected gamers would be identical on all three machines above, even though all three systems are capable of delivering 100fps.

If the server had new hardware with incredibly low driver latencies, very tight ram timings, optimized operating system settings, newer/faster bus and chipset, upgrade the hard drive from mechanical to SSD, everything would contribute to a faster & more responsive environment on the connected gamers end. If it was noticeable to the most casual gamer or if it dramatically changed the shown ping times is unclear. But the faster paced responsiveness would be clearly felt by seasoned gamers.
Alright let's raise some money to upgrade the servers rental equipment. Setting up a lemonade stand with cookies and a banner at my mall:
"Need money to help keep soldiers alive. Grenade victims are assisted by our medics, please keep this dream alive & donate today"

The gathering crowd begins to clap. "Some of our brave soldiers have been serving off & on for the past 24 years." Crowd begins to cheer loudly! "After they've respawned enough times they'll quit the game for a few days. But they always come back to play!" The angry mob chases me away ironically with crowbars.
[IOD]Snips wrote:
Would be nice if donations for a second server could get started someday. Side bonus for having a second server is to experiment in removing/reducing or keeping the bhop caps the same there. Again, let the numbers in popularity speak for themselves when messing around with that separately.

We had a "#2" a long time ago. It rotated 3 maps, Avanti, Rock2, and .... shit, I forget the third map's name....

But anyway, I've been advocating bringing that server back for a long time. The thing is, it was running an older version of QLad (Drippy-'s customizations) of Ralphy, and didn't have any of the visual stuff that 2fort has. But it was a lot of fun to play on, and a nice change of pace.

If you wish to reply to this thread, please log in